Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Valve lash adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Valve lash adjustment?

On my '87 911 I change the oil every 5,000 miles and have the valve lash adjustment every 15,000 miles. I am due for another oil change but still have ~ 2,000 miles before another valve lash adjustment. Somewhere in the past few months I thought I saw where it is best to do the valve lash adjustment with the engine oil out, is this correct? I do the oil change myself but have a local indy do the valve job.

Should I go ahead and take my Brad Penn oil and filter to my shop and have them do the valve job now or do the oil change myself now and then get the valve job in a few thousand miles?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do the oil change & wait till the next one for the valve adj. Then have your shop do the oil change & valve adj together. One-time 3k over on the va interval is no big deal - & from then forward service intervals are in sync. hny!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It certainly wouldn't hurt doing the valve adjust a few miles early! There are other factors that come into play, such as how your car is driven that would help define this. Look at Pete Z's comments on another recent thread here on valve adjust frequency.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:41 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It certainly wouldn't hurt doing the valve adjust a few miles early! There are other factors that come into play, such as how your car is driven that would help define this. Look at Pete Z's comments on another recent thread here on valve adjust frequency.
Thanks, found Pete's recent reply

You should be OK. An exception to the mileage "rule" is when a car is used for many short trips, and rarely reaches full temperature or gets to stretch its legs on the Interstate. If your car reaches full operating temperature during many of its drives, and there's no cover leakage, you should be fine.
The car is not used for many short trips, most trips do get up to temp. However, since we put ~ 5,000 miles on it per year, it has been over 2 years since the last valve adjustment, and the car does seem to be leaking a little more oil now. FYI - the car just passed 120,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Valve lash adjustment?