Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How can I tell if I have upgraded chain tensioners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 12:33 PM
deven07
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How can I tell if I have upgraded chain tensioners?

Hi there,

I have a '71 911T Targa, 2.2l engine is out waiting new transmission. I'm considering various upgrades while it is out...I dont have a ton of records on the engine, but I do know it has been rebuilt...runs like a champ! Too bad the tranny wasn't so nice.

While it is out, Im considering various upgrades/maintenence jobs that can be done, chain tensioners being one of them. How can I tell if this has been done already? The covers look similar to the carrerra style from pictures I've seen of the kit, with the horizontal edge across the middle, bolts all around, but Im not sure if that is what the old covers look like as well?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as suggestions on other upgrades, maintenence that you think I should consider.

Thanks!

Jamie
------
1971 911T Targa
Old 06-04-2002, 01:17 PM
emcon5
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be an oil line going into the timing chain cover. There are some good pictures in the <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_carrera_chain_tensioners/911_carrera_chain_tensioners2.htm" target="_blank">Pelican Parts Tech Article.</a>

Old 06-04-2002, 02:02 PM
bds1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go with standard tensioners, as the above picture looks pretty and may work very well. But the hydraulic tensioners iffy on an install. They may or may not work first time, so then you need to tear down again. ALso the hydraulics will steal oil, they bleed off oil at 15 ps vis a 1/8 hole / ball bleeder.

You can got to Pelican and research this, I just did mod and had to tear it down after I noticed a very noisy chain! linked to a bad "new " tensioners.

I knoe what I am presenting is contaversial but.....you make the call.

Quick Reply: How can I tell if I have upgraded chain tensioners?