Sears Floor Jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the HW will serve you well.

I use a cheapo jack but use nice jack stands. They're 6 ton rated, since I figure that is what is really saving me from getting crushed. I looked for a label to see if they were American made. Guess what? China.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by cal44
I don't have the energy to persue this. I just spent an hour on the phone talking to non-caring organisms at Sears. First I checked with the parts department, they show the Model No. 50239 being a heat exchanger. There are no parts availible according to the guy, even though it shows replacement parts in the handbook that came with the jack. I did find a jack made in America. All steel and the name is Hein-Werner, around the $450.00 mark. Griots has a nice one, made in Spain. I am sure parts would be easy to get for that. So I shall save up a few more bucks and make the decision later. By the way, Sears still sells this jack if anyone is interested. Sorry for carrying on. Thanks all. Mike
In case you did not see my earlier post, you have to call the number listed on the owner's manual - it is NOT a call to Sears. The number is 888-332-6419. Found on page 8 of the owner's manual. Also note that this is the same firm that now sells Hein-Werner jacks. They *do* have a replacement hydraulic unit. I know because I just replaced mine. Here is the link to the owner's manual.

Toby
Old 12-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I too have a HF that has been going strong for 5 or 6 years. Not bad for $80....although one of the caster studs pulled out of a bearing. $1.25 worth of 40mm bolt from HD, and I'm back in business. But, this is my track jack now. That's the argument for me in sticking with aluminum-they are easy to transport.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toby, you are the bestest ever. Will call and see what happens. This is so dumb on my part, getting excited over a floor jack. In my mind its the fact that it is Sears.
All my life they pump you full of "how great we are". So when I find out they are not so great I get miffed. I'll shut up now.............
Thanks to all of you for your input. Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I hear you; we're in a changing world.

I won't buy Levis anymore. In the last 18 months, I have bought two pairs in two different states from two different stores: both literally disintegrated in material, seams and beltloops. Friggin' Levis were always pretty indestructable, WTF happened there, other than I'm sure they've moved production overseas?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I hear you; we're in a changing world.

I won't buy Levis anymore. In the last 18 months, I have bought two pairs in two different states from two different stores: both literally disintegrated in material, seams and beltloops. Friggin' Levis were always pretty indestructable, WTF happened there, other than I'm sure they've moved production overseas?

Wranglers... all the way
Old 12-30-2008, 10:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

cal44,

You are not over reacting. Sears has fallen short of customer service recently. Their attitude is like UPS. They just don't care. Strange when HF gives you better customer service and better prices. I know which one is going to ride out the recession. We'll see what happens when my HF jack dies. I will see how good their parts department is I guess.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

chineese levis and leaking floor jacks .. what is the world coming too. BTW the michelin jacks are exactly the same. Mine leaked at 360 days .... just made it. WENT OUT AND BOUGHT THE CHEAPEST STEEL JACK I COULD FIND. Then bought decent jack stands for the same price as a good jack. Damn thing has been working fine for 3 years ....
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Hein-Werner = quality jack

find a used one - or a used Lincoln

or a Norco - my other jack - ~~ $200 +
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 29 Posts

You continue to complain but don't seem interested in listening to what everyone has told you. Pick up the jack, take it to your closest sears and demand your money back or a new jack. I'm 99% sure you will leave with either one.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I posted a link to a Hein-Werner jack. I think Lincoln is now made in China. Not sure about Milwaukee. Norco is good too, but I think made in China.

It looks like you will spend about twice the money to get a quality jack vs. a hobby jack. The pro-quality HW, Lincoln, and Norcos are about $300-$450. If you find one used, it probably will need some new parts. We have a lot of used jacks on the farm but they have all busted their innards lifting everything from tractors to forklifts. On the other hand, my China jack would have probably exploded a long time ago.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:23 AM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by 993944S2
You continue to complain but don't seem interested in listening to what everyone has told you. Pick up the jack, take it to your closest sears and demand your money back or a new jack. I'm 99% sure you will leave with either one.
We have a winner!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Don, that hurt................but it was damn funny
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a recurring subject. A number of the guys have bought the Costco jack...which is also made in China like a whole lot of things recently. I saw them being used at Radial Tire (Statewide tire franchise) and asked the guys how long they had had them....they told me two years of daily use....so I went out and bought the Costco one too....I figured daily use at a tire shop for two years without a failure was a good enough endorsement for me. It has been great...but I don't use it daily.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sears Craftsman tools has always been good to me. Never a problem replacing them if and when something goes wrong. Griots is also great - lifetime warranty on their tools - but pricey. I had the palm sized ratchet wrench fail and they replaced it without much issue.

Quick Reply: Sears Floor Jack