Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sears Floor Jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sears Floor Jack

I was so proud of myself when I bought a three ton Sears floor jack. These are the lowboy kind for low cars.
One year and one half later it leaks like sailor on leave. I called the Sears repair shop.........nope can't fix em'. I tried to order the part online.....nope don't have em'
So I have an aluminum leaking "SEARS" pile of scrap made in China that can't be repaired.
It doesn't surpise me, been in a Sears store lately? ghost town comes to mind.
Anyone have a good idea on a rolling lowboy made in "Merica". Thanks, all.
Mke
Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

There have been numerous post along those same lines regarding the Sears jacks on the racing forum.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
MDL
Racer

Did you try to return it?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

One year warranty. After that, you are on your own. I will go to the race site and see what the boys have to say.

It's so unusual to buy something made in China. If I worked for Sears I would think about seeking other employment as I don't believe they are going to be around long.
We just bought a Sears stove and it wasn't cheap. I put it in myself so during the unpacking guess what I noticed.

The darn stove is made in China.

I don't think they need my business any longer.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm...yeah this is a recurring scenario.

I've never had a jack fail yet, but a lot of people seem to have problems with the Craftsman ATV jack. I bought one to do a couple of engine drops, and so far it's holding up. But I don't think it's repairable, and don't know if you can order replacement parts.

I also have had one of those aluminum El Cheapo "racing jacks" from Harbor Freight. It's been going strong for about 5 years now.

I looked at some Finnish (made in Finland) jacks, one made in Spain, and one on the Griots Garage website, and one on Pelican. For sure, you can buy a jack not made in China, but for me, the fact that I have not had a failure yet argues against spending the extra money. If failure became common, then yep frugality would cause me to spend extra up front to save in the long run.

Edit:
ok, here's a picture from the web

Looks like the price has gone way down on it too:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92782

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't trust those alum jacks anymore. Instead, I use those 100 lb shop jacks and have never had a problem.

Perhaps you can find someone that services pallet jacks and they would be able to repair your racing jack. I know they repaired one for a friend.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:43 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

you can rebuild it

I avoid Sears now too.

BTW - they claim satisfaction guaranteed so if you are energized enough you can still go after them
Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by randywebb
you can rebuild it

I avoid Sears now too.

BTW - they claim satisfaction guaranteed so if you are energized enough you can still go after them
+1
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one that doesn't cost too much:

http://www.costplustools.com/HeinWer...te=google_base

Milwaukee jacks are nice, but are spendy and I'm not sure if they are American made.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

If it's the red one from Sears, you CAN buy a new jack component. It's about $100. I have the info at home and can get it for you after the first if you want. The folks that make the red Sears aluminum jack also now service the Hein-Werner jacks among others. The plant and warehouse are located in Lenexa, KS.

Toby
Old 12-29-2008, 09:25 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

1. Buy only the Sears tools that have the lifetime warranty.
2. Take the jack back to the store where you bought it. Tell them that you want it fixed (and will pay for the fix) or a new jack, or a refund.
A. If they refuse, talk to the store manager.
B. If he refuses get the # for the regional manager, and ask for the address of corporate.
C. If the manager refuses, take out paper and ask him to spell his name, and tell him you are going
write the CFO of Sears.
D. Repost here that you have not had resolution to your problem and request PMs to you stating a request to Sears to make this right, of the business of that Rinnlist users will boycott Sears.

I for one will send that to you.

E. Take that information and send it to the Sears CFO. The information is on the net under the financial structure of the company.

F. If resolution is still not found, notify us and we will stop purchase at Sears.

I have been a Sears customer for over 50 years and have literally 6 double stacked tool boxes with hundreds of Sears tools, a compressor and washer and dryer and clothes and on and on. BUT------ there are other sources in today's world.

I bought my alum jack from Pepboys because they are one bolck from my house in Ca. It leaked and I exchanged it, maybe 2 months. I liked it and bought another for our farm in Tx and it leaked, over a year. I took it back and after a bit of conversation and insistence, they gave me the replacement jack (more money) even deal.

You have a hammer here, and if that is what it takes to get Sears to operate within moral and common sense guide lines-------- then use it.

I suggest you copy this and take it to the store with you. I can provide you my name, address and phone # so that Sears can verify my customer status.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:20 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at Sears auto, when a guy came in with a pair of pants. He said that they were ruined when the acid from his Sears Marine battery spilled on them. The manager tried to explain that the battery warranty, did not cover pants. After a few minutes of arguing, he gave in and gave him a store credit. Taking"Satisfaction Guaranteed" to a new level.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by newsboy
I was at Sears auto, when a guy came in with a pair of pants. He said that they were ruined when the acid from his Sears Marine battery spilled on them. The manager tried to explain that the battery warranty, did not cover pants. After a few minutes of arguing, he gave in and gave him a store credit. Taking"Satisfaction Guaranteed" to a new level.
The last thing retail companies want these days in unhappy customers. I would give it a try...what do you have to loose?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

A friend of mine that used to work at Sears told me their return and satisfaction policy is so loose that you can actually return an item from one of the other big stores to Sears if you claim you lost your receipt. I would definitely give it a try.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:58 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I don't have the energy to persue this. I just spent an hour on the phone talking to non-caring organisms at Sears. First I checked with the parts department, they show the Model No. 50239 being a heat exchanger. There are no parts availible according to the guy, even though it shows replacement parts in the handbook that came with the jack. I did find a jack made in America. All steel and the name is Hein-Werner, around the $450.00 mark. Griots has a nice one, made in Spain. I am sure parts would be easy to get for that. So I shall save up a few more bucks and make the decision later. By the way, Sears still sells this jack if anyone is interested. Sorry for carrying on. Thanks all. Mike

Quick Reply: Sears Floor Jack