Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I've found my perfect match - almost. Is change forbidden?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:25 PM
trikerider
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've found my perfect match - almost. Is change forbidden?

I've almost decided on the model (993) and I've been searching for the perfect vehicle. Perfection would be 1998 in gray or black with black leather interior and 3 pedals.

I think I can live with some compromises. 1998's seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the 1995's so I think I could live with a 1995 - unless there's something wrong with the '95 model year. (I'm new to this) But there are some things I just don't think I could tolerate . . . blue leather interiors are one of those things and I keep finding 993's with blue leather interiors. I don't understand the blue leather interior choice. In fact, I don't understand the choice of any interior except black leather.

So my question is, how tough is it to turn a blue leather interior into a black one? Is this sacrilege or just foolishly expensive?

Also, if I were to find the perfect 993 but the exterior color is not to my liking, how wrong would it be to have it painted in a shade more in keeping with my vision?

Or . . . do I just keep looking?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:20 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Might have better luck if you ask the 993 section.

Changing a car's colour is very expensive if you want it done right. Best to wait till you find the right car for you.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

+1 on the 993 section

Changing a color will drop the value significantly. As noted, to do it right costs a lot of money. Even done right, you've still diminished the value.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't very expensive to redye the leather if you do it yourself. I redyed mine back to original color, but you might as well call it a color change since it had changed color dramatically in 20 years.

It's hard work and requires many days to do. A friend and I had over 40hrs in it. But you can do it cheaply and effectively with a product like Leatherique. Just remember... it's not just the seats. It's every little bit of vinyl and leather that is blue. You'll be stripping the interior out (door panels, center consule, rear seats, etc).

There have been several threads on here and Pelican from people who have redyed to a new color and they do it inexpensively. But, I'm not sure it's a project I would recommend.

And then there is the carpet.

Repaint? You will take a huge hit if you resell it. And changing color on a repaint is VERY VERY expensive. They have to paint all the areas that usually don't get redone - underside of deck lid, underside of the hood, door frames, engine compartment, trunk compartment --- nightmare!

Colors have a way of growing on you. Might be after you had one for a while, you would like it. It's kind of nice to have something different. And while black looks nice, it isn't always the most practical color in an interior since it can get really hot.

One of the cool things about Porsche is they actually do use colors. Unlike BMW who seems to produce only grey and black unless you special order.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM
DWalker
Racer

Honestly, the added expense of doing a proper repaint of the exterior and re-colour of the interior will be more than simply finding the color combination you want in the first place.
The single option that works for interior colour changes is to replace all the interior pieces of the colour you dont want (blue) to the colour you do want (black), trading or selling your pieces and buying the pieces you need from part-outs, salvage cars, etc. Even this hits you on resale, but not quite as much as a re-dye.
The key to finding the "right" car for yourself is to be very patient, and look everywhere you possibly can, and be realistic as to what you expect to pay for it when you do find it. Using resources such as these forums can also result in a great find, as most who use this board are constantly watching local and national adverts for cars out of habit, and if you put it out there that you are looking for say a 1998 Silver/Black 993 with reasonable miles, manual, etc. then you might be surprised at the results. in fact I know of a Silver 993 manual cab with exceptionally low miles and good service history that may still be for sale. Not sure as to the interior colour etc. but I could ask.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM
lfe132
Racer

I would continue looking until you find that perfect car, color and all.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trikerider
I don't understand the blue leather interior choice. In fact, I don't understand the choice of any interior except black leather.
Color choice to someone is very personal. You seem to be very passionate about what color your 911 will be someday. So, keep in mind that while you feel a black interior is really the only choice, other people have the right to be passionate about a blue interior. Or a gray interior. Or a red interior. Or, God forbid, a tan and brown interior (ask me about my interior).

The key to finding the "right" car for yourself is to be very patient, and look everywhere you possibly can, and be realistic as to what you expect to pay for it when you do find it.
This is great advice. If you find a car that has a blue interior (I personally don't like blue interiors either), then just pass it up. Everytime I was in the market for a 911, I passed up every blue interior car that I came upon. However, I never would knock someone for having a blue interior.

All of these cars are great looking cars in every color combo. I haven't seen an ugly (factory) car yet.

Also, if I were to find the perfect 993 but the exterior color is not to my liking...
Then you have not come across the perfect 993. When you come upon "THE" car for you, you'll really know it. Keep searching!

Best,

Jay
02 986
90 964
84 3.2 (brown over tan and brown)
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I can live with some compromises. 1998's seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the 1995's so I think I could live with a 1995 - unless there's something wrong with the '95 model year. (I'm new to this)
The '98's were the last of the air cooled cars and hold that "last year" status and tend to be higher priced than the previous years of 993's. Plus, the 98's had all the bugs worked out and were nearly perfect air cooled 911s (if you like the feel of the modern air cooled cars).

1995 cars do not have the OBDII computers that the later cars have. So, some of the issues with OBDII cars can be avoided with the '95's. They (the '95's) were the only 993's that were rated with less hp and torque, but I doubt you can tell all that much difference between a '95 and a '96 unless each car is prepped identically and you can drive them back to back in similar conditions.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
997for40
Instructor

Do a search using "SAI problems" and you'll know what you're going to deal with a 96+ 993 OBDII. Although the some '95's are not immune.

Quick Reply: I've found my perfect match - almost. Is change forbidden?