Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at a 75' 911s w/ turbo body

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 PM
dr.evil
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 75' 911s w/ turbo body

hey guys just found the forum, looking for some input. Im Looking to possibly pick up a 1975 911s, just looking to see what would be a fair value for it.
Details:
1975 911 Targa Silver Anniversary edition
converted to Original factory Porsche 911 turbo body, all original Porsche metal.
Zero rust
Miles unknown odo hasn't worked since owner bought it in 1986.
new 2.7l non-turbo engine with 4k miles on rebuild. (all new internals)
rebuilt trans with new pp/clutch/tob/fork/disk
top just recovered
new dash
RS doorpanels
2 spare front bupers
front oil cooler/fan up front
18" porsche knockoff wheels
Needs:
passenger window reg
fix parking brake
maybe new engine wiring harness, still runs fine just dried out I guess

Only pic I have:

I really like the way the car looks. I know what nada lists as value for the 911s targa, just wondering if the turbo body helps or hurts value. I'm going to look at it this weekend, just would like to know what a ballpark figure for an offer would be. Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think the body helps or hurts value, the value will be predicated on mechanical condition if the body is straight, good paint no rust. Actually, it is kind of a hermaphrodite, so it really comes down to individual taste. Personally, I'd say well less than $10K depending on what one would find in an inspection.

Whatever value a "silver anniversary Targa" has is gone with the body mods.

The 2.7 is kind of the red-headed stepchild of motors, you need to make sure that whoever built it knew what they were doing. Same goes for the trans work-there are REBUILDS, and there are spot repairs that are called rebuilds.

If you go forward, budget money for proper wheels-those look ridiculous. You may want to check for cocaine residue in the seats-you wouldn't want to get picked up for something that isn't your doing.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Ed's comments.

I had a '76 with a 2.7 and although the motor ran VERY well, it did grenade and leave me on the side of the road without warning.

Make sure that the person who rebuilt the motor knew what they were doing, and if you are really serious, pick up the phone and call the engine builder...
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If the odo doesn't work, how does anyone know how many miles are on the "new" engine?

Receipts from competent repair facilities are absolutely mandatory on this one. I will humbly suggest that you log into Amazon. com, pick up a copy of the 8th Edition of my book (my signature), and do some reading about the 2.7 liter world. There should be an invoice for a thousand mile service/valve adjustment done by the builder, as well as comprehensive invoices for the engine, transmission, and body work.

After all that, you need to find someone competent to perform a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) for you.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 75' 911s w/ turbo body