Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuild or 3.6 conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:30 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rebuild or 3.6 conversion...

As I am reluctantly in the process of selling my 930 in an effort to decrease my expenses and free up some cash, I am trying to decide what to do with my '88 Carrera.

The car has 129,000 original miles and runs strong. I love that it is so original and its a blast to drive on the track, but after driving my new 911s and turbo cars, I'm bored by the lack of power.

My question is... is there anything to do on a rebuild of the 3.2 that will give it enough additional power to impress me or should I just sell the motor and convert to a Vario 3.6? The car is really only driven on the street enough to keep it lubricated and the battery charged but I think that if it had some more cajones it would be a blast on the track too.

Finally, can anybody give me a ballpark estimate on what it would cost to do something like this. I see some motors for sale in the $9-10k range. What else do you need? Would the stock brakes be up to the task?

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Talk to others who have done this, but IMHO, the installation of a 3.6 Varioram gives these cars more than modern performance.

One should always upgrade the suspension and brake upgrades are done commensurate with how the car will be driven.

The best advice I can offer would be to budget the conversion realistically and do the job right to ensure a trouble-free experience.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Building a 3.2 isn't cheap, even staying mild. So, HP comes at a steep price. A conversion certainly is the most economical way to boost power, but remember that when you say you see motors for sale, they are USED. So, you spend fairly large $ to get somewhat of an unknown quantity.

An '88 Carrera has plenty of cajones for the track. Lighten it up a bit, do some suspension mods and increase braking, and I'm pretty sure YOU will be the limiting factor for quite some time in what that car can do on the track, not any lack of HP.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:12 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Steve,

Thanks for the comments. After reading some of your other posts, I was hoping you'd chime in.

I think this may be the way to go but want to make sure I have a realistic budget for the actual conversion, as well as for the other upgrades that may be necessary.

I spoke to my air-cooled mechanic and he thought it would be the cost of the motor, about $2000 for his work, and perhaps another $1000 if a different flywheel were needed.

I would use the car as I do now, for occasional weekend drives and about 8-10 DE's a year. I had Bilsteins but think I would probably want to upgrade the sway bars and possibly get some stiffer torsion bars. It actually handles pretty on the track the way it is.

Steve- What are your thoughts on a brake upgrade. I LOVE the stock brakes on my 930 with Pagid Oranges. What does your 930 upgrade kit run? Are there any other good options?

Appreciate your input. I think this would be a fun project and a pretty quick car when completed. Here's a pic of what she looks like now.

Thanks!
Todd
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:17 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Silly question but why don't you sell the 911 and rock the 930?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Not a silly question. Simple answer is that my dad bought the 911 brand new in 1988, when I was 15, and its been pretty special to both of us since then. I bought it from him when he couldn't justify keeping it any longer and plan to keep it long enough to be buried in it. Even with the high-ish miles, I'd never be able to replace a car like this. I literally have records and receipts for EVERYTHING that has ever been done for this car.

I really don't want to sell the 930 but I just added another kid so I want to sell my M3 and 930 so I can keep the 911 and get a dd that has 4 doors (I know, defeat). I'll get another 930 when it makes more sense as I really do love the car. Also, although I like the power of the 930, a N/A engine works a little better on the short tracks we have where I live.

-T
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

If you convert to a 3.6 you get great power and torque but a used engine. If you rebuild your 3.2 into a 3.4 or something similar it will cost more than a used 3.6 but you'll have a new engine. Add the brake and suspension mods and either way you're looking at over $20K. There is lots of information on this, especially at Pelican, where you can study up and make an informed decision. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

I have been in a SC converted to 3.6 varioram. It is a lister actually . and I have to say the car is viloent. It is very fast and pulls strong. he has it mated to a 915 to boot.

I know there are kits available with everything you need except the engine.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:52 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Well, I could offset some of the expense of the 3.6 motor by selling my 3.2. I can't offset any of the expense of rebuilding a motor. I don't mind spending some money to do things right (although I don't really want to spend $20k!).

Fortunately, I got the "good son" discount on the 911 so I really don't have much money in it at this point. We'll see what I can get for the 930.

iceman- i'm sure the early 911s running 3.6 motors are fast. One of the quickest guys in our region has a Carrera with the 3.6. I was lucky to get a ride from him before he got smart and took out his passenger seat (everybody wanted a ride) and it reminded me of the ride I got in a 997GT3. Fast.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few months back, one of our PCA members had a spec. built 993 TT S motor built...

and for sale. I believe the price was $12K. His contact info.: riceturbos@sbcglobal.net

He specializes in 911 & 930s. So Cal. No affiliation.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

tone40- that sounds really cheap for a motor like that and would probably be overkill for this application. i'm guessing there would be quite a bit more to do in order to get a tt motor into the rear of a Carrera (but that would make for a scary fast car!).
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, its a bit of a project...I know....
Old 12-20-2008, 01:52 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

LA964RS- worth it, I suspect, but not going to help me with my goal of decreasing expenditures. I'd guess that I could just keep my 930 and have less invested???
Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Todd,

Nice car!!!!!

Since the "Devil is in the Details" regarding such subjects as this one, I'd kindly suggest that you call me. There are a number of parts you need and changes/modifications to make for a successful outcome and your mechanic needs to be current on all this, especially if he has never done one before. Your car is an excellent candidate for such a transplant.

A 3.6-powered Carrera feels very different from a 930 so you ought to get a ride in such a machine before you make any hasty decisions,..
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe its because I am older 49 and more sentimental, but if I had a car like yours and still driving strong that my father bought as new with records and receipts...I wouldn't change anything.
Save your money and when the time is right get what you want...but daddy's car...leave it be. I also
think that in the future cars like these that remain stock will hold their value better if well taken car of.
IMHO
abe

Quick Reply: Rebuild or 3.6 conversion...