Rebuild or 3.6 conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

OK so I'm an infrequent visitor to this forum, but as someone who spent my own hard earned time & money building a fresh 3.2 Carrera engine on Motec & headers for my '83 SC in order to get just 270hp, I can categorically state that if I were in the same position again I would not hesitate to drop in a 3.6 engine instead. My first choice would be a post '91 964 plastic manifold 3.6, fit the stock 3.2 exhaust, a suitable air filter and simply remap the Motronic ecu to suit (don't bother with the varioram 993, it's not worth the effort for the nominal increase in torque below 4000rpm). On our dyno this combination makes pretty much the same 300hp as the 964 RS & Cup engines straight out of the box and with a LWF on the end of the crank it would spin up like a Japanese motorbike.

In a 3.2 Carrera, 300hp is enough power and torque to make it as interesting as a turbo, but not so much that you need monster brakes and rock hard suspension to keep it under control (Bilsteins all round and turbo torsion bars will be sufficient for most) and the best part is that you will easily get over 30mpg on a run. If you sell your engine to fund the replacement, the cost of doing the job at 9m would be around £7000 (depending on donor engine price) including the front oil cooler fan upgrade. Then, should you ever get bored with it, having the twin-plug 3.6 means that it's a lot easier to tune, so add Motec, cams & ported heads and you would soon see 350hp, or enough to worry a GT3 in a straight line.

I miss my 911SC, but if I did still had it, the rebuilt 3.2 engine would definitely have been long gone and there would be a lovely 3.6 sitting in the back instead.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep, once you get past the RSR flares and the "meats"....
(Referring to Jack's post)
Old 01-08-2009, 12:13 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Colin- wow, I think that might be the strongest endorsement I've seen or heard. I paid a visit to a local shop today who has done a lot of these conversions and came away with pretty much the same conclusion. So excited about the prospect am I that I paid a visit to my accountant today in an effort to figure out what my corporate tax burden is going to be this year so I can see if there's going to be anything left over! 401k, what 401k? Interesting comments about the earlier 3.6 motor and probably a nice way to save a few grand and worth exploring.

Thanks for the comments!

Quick Reply: Rebuild or 3.6 conversion...