Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

California Porsche Restoration opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

CPR did a stunning simply stunning car for me and I had nothing but a positive experience with CPR and specifically Brian...I have nothing but good words to say about CPR and Brian...
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

An update... haven't posted here in a while, but I ended up buying a 356A Speedster and restoration through CPR, and it's nearing completion. Attached is a photo I took in June while up at the shop.

With regard to CPR and Brian, and the comment above, he's honored our contract, so while the process has taken a long time (2 1/2 years), some of that is just down to the fact that a ground-up restoration is a massive project.

Will see how everything turns out, as we're probably less than a month from completion. The differential is in, and the engine was being finished up last week.

EDIT: I saw Only1Buck's signal yellow Targa when it was at CPR, and it was nothing less than astonishing.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bullfighter; 08-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one word that comes to mind......AWESOME !
Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Makes one wonder what our newly registered member's (zzbakerman) objective was, with his posts.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
davekirsten
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is lots of great information on this thread and obviously members have generously given their time to share experiences and keep the rest of us informed, which inspires me to do the same. My wife inherited her 1967 Porsche 912 from her dearly departed aunt about 20 years ago. I'm guessing we’ve put no more than 200 miles on it since she got it (with 71,XXX miles). It has been stored indoors since new so there has never been an opportunity for rust to invade. Overall the car is in nice condition but there were a few minor scrapes and dings. The interior was pretty tired as were a few of the body panels but it’s definitely a good driver. Recently my daughter asked if she could use it as her wedding getaway car next October. We had hoped to one day restore our 912 and this was a great reason to advance our plans. A local collector/enthusiast recommended CPR to us and a short time later we got in touch with Mike Heilbroom to discuss the project. We found Mike to be very straight forward and concise. After he explained the process including logistics, cost, and timing we sealed the deal. About two weeks later the CPR trailer showed up at my office (photo below) to pick up our 912. Since it arrived in Fallbrook we have received three monthly updates as promised (each time with photos). The most recent update came after the car was chemically stripped. This is an important update because it is only after this stage they can give you an accurate assessment of the condition of the metal. We were relieved when Mike's report included the words "it is extremely straight with very little body filler". No doubt that saved us some time and money. Any day now our 912 will appear in the "in progress" section of CPR's website along with 40+ other projects. Just as we have been sharing Mike's progress reports and photos with interested family members, we will be sharing the link to CPR's site. From a customer's perspective it is very nice to see your project as it progresses through the various stages of restoration. We have planned to have our 912 in the wedding and seeing it continually making progress is very comforting. I'll continue to post its progress as well as our experiences with CPR. So far they have been absolutely first class.
Attached Images     

Last edited by davekirsten; 12-16-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 06-07-2014, 12:42 AM
zack512
2nd Gear

In April 2014 I bought a 1970 porsche 914-6 from Cpr that was on their web sight and also purchased their full restoration services for the car. Brian told me the process generally takes up to two years. I will keep you guys posted regarding the process. I have nothing to report about them at this time. I do know what i have observed regarding the cars at their shop and I can say they are exceptional. I am very picky but i have no doubt in their abilities to perform extraordinary restoration work.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father has bought 2 cars there from CPR, a 1959 Conv.D and a 1963 S coupe. The quality of workmanship is the best I have ever seen and the knowledge they have about the older cars is bar none. I would have no problems in recomending this shop for any type of work to be done.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Makes one wonder what our newly registered member's (zzbakerman) objective was, with his posts.
He still hasn't logged back on since that day.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:06 PM
hailey198
3rd Gear

I know this is an older post but had to weigh in on this after seeing the shop multiple times (and the inventory - and meeting with Brian directly for a tour. What they are doing at CPR is first-rate. Since these posts they have expanded and have a separate unit down the street for sales of cars. I have seen many early Porsche restorations, but none done with this level of detail and expertise that I see at CPR. I am hoping to do some business (back-dating an updated car) with Brian and will keep everyone posted.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:14 PM
lifelonghabit
1st Gear

We sent four cars to CPR on consignment in July 2018. They sold two ('83 Targa, and '55 Speedster). After some nagging, we received payment for the Targa. They claim they sold the Speedster in early 2019 but still HAVE NOT PAID US. I can't find the VIN on any registries or sales sites so, maybe they still have it...
In March 2020, we demanded return of the other two cars ('83 coupe and '47 TC) and, it took six months for them to return the 911 and nine months for them to return the MG. They claimed to have done repairs on both vehicles and invoiced us for lots of ridiculously expensive repairs. Unfortunately, when we received the vehicles, most of the agreed upon repairs had not been done and some were done so poorly that they had to be redone (windshield not properly installed, only 5 qt of oil used in oil change, and much more). To add insult to injury, they had swapped the matched set of original Fuchs for an unmatched set and kept the spare pair of 16x8 Fuchs that were with the car. Whatever stellar reputation they once had is long gone.

Quick Reply: California Porsche Restoration opinion wanted