Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

So Doc, about this funny scar I've always had....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 04:48 PM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts
Default So Doc, about this funny scar I've always had....

I've had my '78SC for going on 12 years now. In that time I've rebuilt just about everything and got help were I needed or had to.
Pretty much had my hands on everything.
However, there is one thing that still puzzles me:
What is this plug-like feature in the top of my driver's side fender?
Anyone seen something like this before?
I'm hoping it's benign....

Just above and to right of Fuel sticker
I only have one guess and I hope I'm wrong.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:58 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

How is your radio reception?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:59 PM
Cloggie
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

Well those two are just nasty.....the fuel sticker **might** be removed with some solvent (like Sikkens M600) or even lacquer thinner followed by a light sand/polish....if there is nothing nasty underneath. You might even be able to slowly sand the sticker off, masking around the edges so you do not sand anything other than the sticker until you get to seeing paint...and then go finer and finer grit until you get it all off. Scary for sure......

The funny looking plug is not quite in the right spot for a radio antenna hole, plus those are usually on the other fender for later cars....so personally I think you are stuck with prying it off and seeing what is there. Can you get at it from underneath and see what is visible from the inner fender side?
Old 05-12-2021, 05:06 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloggie
Well those two are just nasty.....the fuel sticker **might** be removed with some solvent (like Sikkens M600) or even lacquer thinner followed by a light sand/polish....if there is nothing nasty underneath. You might even be able to slowly sand the sticker off, masking around the edges so you do not sand anything other than the sticker until you get to seeing paint...and then go finer and finer grit until you get it all off. Scary for sure......

The funny looking plug is not quite in the right spot for a radio antenna hole, plus those are usually on the other fender for later cars....so personally I think you are stuck with prying it off and seeing what is there. Can you get at it from underneath and see what is visible from the inner fender side?
I thought manual antenna = driver's side, power antenna = passenger side.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...on-aerial.html
Old 05-12-2021, 05:42 PM
Cloggie
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
I thought manual antenna = driver's side, power antenna = passenger side.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...on-aerial.html
I read over the article and must admit I have not seen anything in my material to support that premise. **usually** Porsche is pretty sensible, I would have expected that they just wanted one hole drilled and then fit the appropriate antenna, not alternate depending on power/manual. Seems too complicated from a production point of view.

My '75 had a manual factory antenna on the passengers side and I know that after the electric antennas came out, they had to be on the passenger side as there was not enough room on the other fender.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:14 PM
Showdown
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the exact spot that my '77 had the power antenna which I promptly deleted.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:48 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

That's definitely the antenna hole. The odd thing is the plug. Maybe someone added a power antenna on the passenger side and just plugged the manual antenna hole. Or maybe it's a replacement fender and they just plugged the hole rather than welding it shut.

Mar
Old 05-12-2021, 11:15 PM
pmax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, there's an antenna where the plug is in my 80.

Isn't that sticker supposed to be inside the fuel door ?
Old 05-12-2021, 11:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

i have read many things to the same effect, power passenger, non power driver.
my power is on the passenger side.. dollars to donuts thats an antenna hole,.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:13 AM
ausgang
Racer

Thank you guys for all of the replies.
I should have mentioned that I have a power antenna on the passenger side.
So, might Porsche have installed a fender with a plug from a car that otherwise might have had a manual antenna?
I don't see any evidence of a fender replacement, and the original owner never mentioned replacing a fender. (just a theft-related broken rear quarter window in early 80s)
The "unleaded gas only" sticker is original, and in pictures from original owner. I have a new one to replace it.
There is a similar sticker (not identical) inside the gas flap, which I am replacing as well.

I guess what I'm hearing is nobody has seen one of these antenna-area body plugs before. That is either very interesting, or just concerning.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:45 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 200 Likes on 158 Posts

Pretty doubtful that Porsche would do that, but maybe a PO replaced the manual antenna and plugged it himself.

BAT is a pretty good resource for lots of photos. I searched the completed auctions for Euro 911s. Plenty with antennas on one side or the other, but I didn't see any plugs.

You sure you don't have a Euro car, and the unleaded sticker was a clumsy addition by whoever imported it?

Mark
Old 05-13-2021, 01:56 AM
76FJ55
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts

That fender has definitely been repainted. You can see the overspray where they masked the black filler between the fender and windshield frame. I suspect that fender was replaced in the cars history and the one they found originally had a drivers side manual antenna, They then plugged the hole and painted it red. I've never seen the unleaded fuel sticker in that location either.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by 76FJ55
That fender has definitely been repainted. You can see the overspray where they masked the black filler between the fender and windshield frame. I suspect that fender was replaced in the cars history and the one they found originally had a drivers side manual antenna, They then plugged the hole and painted it red. I've never seen the unleaded fuel sticker in that location either.
this exactly ...

i was going to type all this but saw it here.. dont care what you were told, that fender has been replaced.

Old 05-13-2021, 01:40 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
this exactly ...

i was going to type all this but saw it here.. dont care what you were told, that fender has been replaced.
+1. Exactly.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:16 PM
ausgang
Racer

Originally Posted by 76FJ55
You have a good eye for detail. However, that red paint on the black filler got their just now while I was compounding. I hadn't cleaned up yet when I took the pic. Regardless, the most logical answer is the fender came off a car that had a manual antenna.

Quick Reply: So Doc, about this funny scar I've always had....