Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:34 PM
rolarey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Headlights

I have an '89 Carerra with the well documented inadequate stock headlights. As I get older, my night vision is not as good as it once was and the lack of light has become a problem. I'm intersted in options to correct this. If I can get away with not having to paint the rims around the lights, I'd be happy. What ar my options?
Rich
Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I switched to the Sylvania ultrastar or some such name and instantly had more light. They are available at pepboys and the like. make sure you get the newest one as they changed the design without changing the name.

If this simple switch dowsn't do it for you lots of guys put in a "headlight relay" that can be had for cheep at www.Pelican.com
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Basically:

1) Install relay kit regardless of what ever else you do.
2) Most popular is the Euro H4 head light up grade. Currently there are a couple of pairs for sale on ebay for about ~$350. I have no personal experience with these and how great they are but everyone else seems to rave about them. I think they need some different connectors and if you run bigger guage wiring you could probably up the wattage of the bulbs. The trips rings either come in black primer or chrome. I found that my FLAPS has pre-made spray cans off all sorts of colours for different makes/models of cars and found one close to grand prix white, I used that to respray my trim rings.
3) This is what I did because I am cheap. I replaced my fog lights with after market driving lights. I had to 'adapt' some mounts but I think it worked out well. I got new driving lights with the entire harness for about $50 on ebay; I got lucky that day. They only come on with the high beams and are highly focused light, 85W each. I drive on a lot of back roads at night so they seem to make a difference there. I haven't been able to compare them to the H4 upgrade.
4) There are some 'HID' kits out there but I have never come across anything good. All usually result in nothing more than a different shade of white and a whole lot of glare to blind other drivers. They can also get you a ticket in most areas.

That's about how I see it. Again, make sure you get a relay kit or else you will find yourself without any light one day. Also, they increase the light output marginally.

Lastly, I just went driving around tonight in my winter beater, a 98 civic. Now those are ****ty lights, they honestly make the stock carrera lights look like the landing lights on a 747. So I don't think the carrera lights are all that bad, but that is just my opinion, also I am still young and seem to have about 20/10 vision.

-matt

Quick Reply: 911 Headlights