Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The new 36-Degree Valve Adjusting Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

rusnak: What I do is go by feel. That is to say I wiggle the valves during one more couple of rotations thru the timing cycle. You get just a slight amount of "wiggle". If you get none, that is a definite issue. If you get a "lot", that is also bad. If they all feel the same, and you're confident in the right amount of friction with the feeler in, it just kind of validates that you did the valves and were in the right sequence.

Not precision, but a second check. I've yet to figure out how to slip a .004" feeler back under a properly adjusted rocker.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

BTW, I've got a custom tool with a roll of .004 shim stock that you clip off as needed to get a fresh piece in place. It is SO superior to the feeler gauge commonly used. You can also make the feeler as long or as short as you want, and whatever angle. The guy I bought it from made a limited run of them a few years back.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed, that sound like a nice tool. Thanks for the tip on rocking the valves. I'll try it. I just got word that I have to drive my mom over to San Luis Obispo this weekend, so yet one more weekend lost from working on the 911.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, I think I like it. It's pretty fast. I will say, it takes a little trial and error to find reference points to use. Moving the bit inside the handle is necessary to pick points up, but it still is a matter of a bit of eyeballing. The pointers are far enough off the cam tower to clear the studs which means there is no close reference points. But, my guess is it is no different than different mechanic's feel on the gauges. After a couple of valves, you learn quickly how best to sight the pointers.

Pretty close to the ease of using this is the feeler I mentioned earlier. Here's a pic of it. You slide the collar back to loosen the clamping pressure, pull out some new feeler off the roll, lock the collar and snip to preference.

And lastly, what the best Targa in the world with new oil, filter and a fresh valve adjust looks like.
Attached Images     
Old 03-22-2009, 05:22 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Ed,

I like that tool you have! We should put these together as a set. :-)

I posted a video of the tool in action for those who wonder how to do the visual alignments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYHCJy2-8w

Its on a 964, but its the same thing once you get in there.

--tcb
Old 03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

thanks Ed!

Anyone interested in participating in a "useful and interesting tools" thread?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
thanks Ed!

Anyone interested in participating in a "useful and interesting tools" thread?
Go for it, I bet we have lots of good ideas. I bet the 964 guys would like it too.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

ok, I was not able to try the new 36 degree valve adjusting tool just yet.

Got back into town, and it's freezing cold with marble size hail. Got to save it for next weekend when it'll be warm and sunny.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I used the little tool yesterday to adjust my valves. It is awesome!

On the very first valve I could immediately tell this was going to be a huge improvement in ease of adjustment, and precision. There is a lot to be said for knowing exactly what the clearance is after that last bit of tightening the lock nut.

Everything about the tool is well thought out and works very well: the removable bit, the length and positioning of the pointers, the sharpness of the driver, etc. I might modify it with a magnet instead of the spring and ball detent, but it's not like I do valve adjustments all that often.

Don't buy one of these tools. Buy two so you have a spare. They are that good.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I did another valve adjustment this weekend using this little tool.

I'm still excited about using it, since it has cut down the time needed for the whole job significantly. It is also very easy to do a very accurate job, since you can do a visual check once the lock nut is tightened. The car has a lot more torque once again, as if I installed a varioram induction or something.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
nikkoa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After forging my lastest tool from the hell depths of the shop... I need something a little more 'reliable'

I must get one!!!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. WOW!

Quiet valves for the first time in 13 years of 911 ownership...

This is a great tool!
Old 03-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Actually, I find this tool less than accurate. Due to the fact that one lines up a point of some kind, them swings the tool through its arc to another arbitrary point, maybe less desireable than the first, there is a fair amount of subjectivity with this. If one has trouble with a feeler gauge, then I suppose it would be an improvement. But, if you have the right feel with the .004" shim, there is no substitute for its accuracy. Having said that, some feeler gauges are better than others. I was fortunate enough to get one of island911's special tools when he offered them for sale on Pelican a few years back, so I'm somewhat spoiled on that.

I guess one can't have too many tools, so this piece looks good in the drawer.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I take the bit out and rotate the tool until there is a good visual reference such as a cam cover stud, then re-insert the bit.

My reaction was like Tod's. I have better power and quieter valves than before. But it's like anything else, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Lining up the first one is the easy part-it's deciding what to use as a second reference poit that is somewhat imprecise. But, I suppose you can get pretty close. I may try it to time my cams with the engine out. I'll end up re-adjusting in fairly short order when I get her back on the road, so I'll see what results I get.

Quick Reply: The new 36-Degree Valve Adjusting Tool