The new 36-Degree Valve Adjusting Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The new 36-Degree Valve Adjusting Tool

Hi Guys -

I am crossing over from the 964 forum to let you know about something we've been working on over there.

9Meister originally posted about a design and theory for doing simple valve adjustments, with a concept for a screwdriver with reference points set at 36 Degrees apart.
The original post is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ting-tool.html

Since then, discussion took off, and I offered to make a few (like 6...) for friends with a new modification of that design. Demand has been pretty strong,(over 50 so far) and since I am committed to making a batch of them, I am in for a penny-in for a pound...

You can see how that post took off here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ng-orders.html

A few details:
  • I am making these at near cost, factoring in my time and running around. The price has gone up (to $25) on this second run due to really crazy shipping costs... Small boxes don't really cost less to ship... silly me.
  • $1 from each order will go to Rennwish Foundation
  • I am making these from a design that has been discussed on the 964 board, which involves a stock stubbie screwdriver, with a some machined pins, and holes drilled at a 36 degree angle. It is open source, meaning you can make your own too, but I thought I'd save you the trouble with some good machining/engineering.
  • The effectiveness of this method has been discussed, and I invite you to check out some of the conversation over there if you are interested. The consensus is that it makes the initial setup quicker and more reliable.

Full details and a means to order with PayPal are here at my personal site: http://tomnjudy.com/porsche/

'Springer3' has been using one in the field, and his impressions are here: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-orders-3.html

I hope you find one useful... and let me know if you have any questions via PM...

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I've seen Tom's little "invention" here as he lives close by and I must say that its both ingenious and elegant in its simplicity.

Its a nice addition to anyone's toolbox who does their own valve adjustments and wants a little more precision to the process.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Can someone explain in "laymans" terms how it actually works or post a picture/diagram.

I'm a little confused.

Thanks !

John
Old 12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a quick look, I think it means; No more feeler gauges.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Can someone explain in "laymans" terms how it actually works or post a picture/diagram.

I'm a little confused.

Thanks !

John
John,

There is a bit of theory on the process here: http://tomnjudy.com/porsche/
and it has been discussed a few different ways on the 964 forum. Essentially, when doing a valve adjustment, you are loosening a lock nut, and adjusting a stud that has a slot in the top. The thread pitch is 1.0MM, meaning that for every 360 degrees of turn, the adjuster will move 1MM. The optimal adjustment for valves is .10mm, so the theory goes that you adjust to a zero reading, then use the screwdriver to turn 1/10 of a whole turn, (or 36 degrees) to get to 1MM. The screwdriver has pins set at 36 Deg apart, and by lining them up with a visual reference, it makes an accurate turn possible and repeatable. I think in practice it will be a good idea to verify with a feeler gauge, but per Springer3 (the beta tester) it speeds up the process getting to the correct setting right off the bat. Also, when tightening the lock nut, using the screwdriver's visual references help you hold the adjustment screw in the right place, as sometimes it will spin a little when the nut tightens, causing a skew in the final adjustment accuracy.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

If anyone has any further questions, be sure to let me know... ;-)
Old 12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Antony.
Instructor

Love these very simple solutions to common problems. Just paypal'd a payment as I have one slightly noisy valve back there so I need to check them again. This should be fun to try out. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Hi guys, quick update. The screwdrivers are all produced, and ready to ship. I just need to wait for the boxes to arrive, and they should be going out on-schedule. I have about 6 extra left of this production run, if anyone wants to get in on it.

http://tomnjudy.com/porsche/

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Just ordered-thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Just ordered!

Thanks,

David
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Andy_Ash
Track Day

What an excellent idea.
My 36 degree wrist is now redundant!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

I'm about to do a valve adjustment.

I'll try one out.

Ordered.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

[this is just me being an ***]

What if your wear on your elephant's foot isn't even. Could you end up with a high side and a low side or am I way off? I guess if the foot is free to spin you wouldn't get that???
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Ian Ledger
Intermediate

Great idea. I will make one for the next time. It reminds me of a simplified SPQR and Gunson tool. Thanks
Ian
Old 01-19-2009, 05:22 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Default Shipping Update

For those who ordered a VAS: the domestic orders are in the USPS... International orders will go out Wednesday. :-)

Quick Reply: The new 36-Degree Valve Adjusting Tool