Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who has to keep their car outside?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has to keep their car outside?

Now that I have started the fun but long search for my first 911, I have to ask you guys this........................

Who has to keep their beloved car outside?

I ask this due to a recent move we made (landlord was one of the many who got a variable rate loan they did not qualify for and now are going into foreclosure) we now only have a one car garage. My lovely wife to be gets the garage, well because.......................you know. So I am hesitant to buy a 911 and have to keep her outside. Atleast until we buy a house with 2 garages. And at the current market, it could be a few years.

With these older cars prone to rust, would leaving her outside make this a bigger problem? I of course will get a PPI, so I do hope she does not have any at the time of purchase.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I always feel for these older cars that the more rain, snow and salt you can keep away from them, the better. If it is not covered and you are in a sunny region, then you have to also contend with fading paint. There are also other pollutants in the air, sap from trees, and bird droppings. Having said that, lots of people winter drive these older 911's, so it depends what you want from your car. If it is a daily driver that does not need to be in pristine condition, then parking it outside is fine. If this is a weekend driver and you want it to look perfect, then cover it with a waterproof cover during the week.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I always feel for these older cars that the more rain, snow and salt you can keep away from them, the better. If it is not covered and you are in a sunny region, then you have to also contend with fading paint. There are also other pollutants in the air, sap from trees, and bird droppings. Having said that, lots of people winter drive these older 911's, so it depends what you want from your car. If it is a daily driver that does not need to be in pristine condition, then parking it outside is fine. If this is a weekend driver and you want it to look perfect, then cover it with a waterproof cover during the week.
Here in good ol' Oregon, it rains more than it suns. The car will be my daily, however I am that guy who has/will wash in the rain once a week needed or not.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine lives outside year round. And it's a convertible. I don't think it's accurate to say these older cars are "prone to rust." The galvanized SC and Carrera models are actually very resistant to rust. I can't imagine a 20+ year old Honda, Nissan, or Ford looking like a Porsche at 20 years old. My mom's 84 VW w/over 250K miles has no rust. My 911 doesn't either.

I did decide to rent a storage unit this year for the car. So it's spending a few months this winter in a 10x20 U-Store-It for $65 a month. That could be an option for you too.

If you want a garage queen, then you better have a garage. If you want a Porsche... don't worry about it

Shannon
87 Carrera Cabriolet
The following users liked this post:
103Kinnikinnik (12-05-2021)
Old 12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine is outside all year round. StormProof cover from CoverKing, works great. It's similar to gortex.

My option was either not to get a 911 or get one and park it outside.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My P-car is garaged, but I have other cars that I care about that have to stay outside. If it's an intermittent driver, a good car cover is a must and is almost as good as a garage or carport in NW weather. If it's a DD, maybe one of these portable canopies, if the neighbors don't hate it too much? Honestly, I think the most destructive things for these cars (in descending order) are: salt, snow, intense UV, bird/tree droppings, rain. Where you live, you can pretty much count out all but the last one. Keep a good, premium coating on the exterior and go for it!

Originally Posted by kallberg
Here in good ol' Oregon, it rains more than it suns. The car will be my daily, however I am that guy who has/will wash in the rain once a week needed or not.
That goes a long way towards keeping the finish nice. Leaving crud just sit on it is a Bozo No-No.

And if that's your wife, yeah, 'nuff said - she gets the garage and anything else she wants. Good man.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 12-10-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
My P-car is garaged, but I have other cars that I care about that have to stay outside. If it's an intermittent driver, a good car cover is a must and is almost as good as a garage or carport in NW weather. If it's a DD, maybe one of these portable canopies, if the neighbors don't hate it too much? Honestly, I think the most destructive things for these cars (in descending order) are: salt, snow, intense UV, bird/tree droppings, rain. Where you live, you can pretty much count out all but the last one. Keep a good, premium coating on the exterior and go for it!

That goes a long way towards keeping the finish nice. Leaving crud just sit on it is a Bozo No-No.

And if that's your wife, yeah, 'nuff said - she gets the garage and anything else she wants. Good man.
She did just email me and say that she wouldnt make me keep it outside. But with an 8yr old daughter, I just cant bare them out in the rain and cold warming up her Accord in January.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kallberg
But with an 8yr old daughter, I just cant bare them out in the rain and cold warming up her Accord in January.
Just get a block heater. Perhaps a remote car starter.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Problem solved. Next!!...
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2008, 05:09 PM
jwasbury
Instructor

I've got a similar situation here...two cars, only one garage. My p-car is not a daily driver, so the other car gets the garage. My neighborhood is urban and street parking will kill your car due to "park by braille" methods used by most drivers in the area. So my p-car HAS to be garaged. I ended up finding a private 1 car for rent in the area and its working out well.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jwasbury
I've got a similar situation here...two cars, only one garage. My p-car is not a daily driver, so the other car gets the garage. My neighborhood is urban and street parking will kill your car due to "park by braille" methods used by most drivers in the area. So my p-car HAS to be garaged. I ended up finding a private 1 car for rent in the area and its working out well.
I have done this as well in the past, and it worked out well. However, these spaces are very scarce in an urban area, unless you know somebody who knows somebody who has an elderly mother with a garage and no car. I've also used store-and-lock places, worked fine but more vulnerable to theft and idiots burning the whole place down.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM
jwasbury
Instructor

the private 1 car garage rental opportunities do come up...you just have to look. If Craigslist is popular in your area, that's a great place to find something.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jwasbury
the private 1 car garage rental opportunities do come up...you just have to look. If Craigslist is popular in your area, that's a great place to find something.
There are a few here, but land is at a premium and storage space is always in high demand. Going rate is $130-$150 for a private 1-car garage, maybe a few dollars less for a store-and-lock space. $65 here might get you somebody's spot in a parking garage (ugh) or in a vacant lot somewhere (double-ugh).
Old 12-11-2008, 01:40 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I can not park anywhere except the garage without fear of a stary oak limb falling. thats said...the wifes suv and my truck get outside parking, while the 911 gets dibs on the garage. Plus I keep a Coverking and three blankets over top of it because of my cats.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

This could be the best thread ever between Bearclaws signature and Kallbergs avatar .. unfortunately I have nothing else to add to this thread

Quick Reply: Who has to keep their car outside?