Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Car lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car lift

Does anyone here have any experience with the lift from KwikLift? They have an ad in the back of Ecellence.

Thanks,

David
Old 12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a thread about lifts in the 928 forum you may want to look at.

the president of my local PCA chapter, Ohio Valley region, just got a mid-rise scissor lift from Greg Smith Equipment.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Mi...Lifts-s/60.htm

so far seems happy with it. he wrote an article in the OVR region of PCA, Bent Pylon, Nov issue. says he also uses tall jack stands if he is going to work under it for more saftey.

good luck.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

I had a kwik lift (basically elevated ramps) for a short time and got rid of it. Quality of construction is good but I found it not to be user friendly. If you are not careful the angle of incline can cause you to rub front spoilers especially if the car is lowered at all. Second they take up lots of room and third you have to anchor the system or it will start to slide as you try and drive on it. It is really just a "poor man's" four post lift in that the wheels are on the ground and you must then jack the car off the qwiklift at either front or back to remove the wheels. I ended up with the snap-on hydraulic scissor lift and am happy as it makes changing wheels a breeze. It also has swing out arms to adjust to the jacking points on any car or light truck. It also has automatic setting locking safety arms that engage at various heights to prevent the car from coming down should the hydraulics fail. Additionally it can be moved around and when retracted you can drive right over it and thus not lose floor space. The ideal set-up would be this in the middle of a four post lift so I could raise a car on the four post on its wheels for oil changes etc or just drive the car on the four post and lift it with the scissor lift for wheel, tire, brake or suspension work. As with four post lifts you can by inexpensive ones but how much do you value your car and life.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Kwik Lifts are a pain. You want either a two post or a mid-rise scissor lift (I have a Bendpak-its great!) if you plan on working on the car. The difference being when you lift with one of these, the wheels hang down and are removable. With a Kwik or a 4 post, you need to still jack the car up off of the lift to remove the wheels.

4 posts are good for storing two cars in one garage space, IMO.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a four post Rotary Lift and am 100% happy with it. When I was shopping for a lift, I noticed that nearby Ferrari shop used them in both the retail and race shops. As someone stated earlier, you certainly can buy less expensive ones, but...

I looked at the Kwik Lift once at a car show, and left with the impression that I would rather work under a car on four good jack stands.

Ub
84 Carrera
64 356C
Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have two BendPak lifts. Good construction...still made in USA, though there is talk about making them in China. If you get one make sure you get the motor/hydraulic that is made in Mexico...NOT CHINA..take my word for it. I think the model is HD9. Funny, can't believe that something made in Mexico is a good thing....how times have changed.

abe

Quick Reply: Car lift