Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do 930 brakes bolt on a 911? Are they a big improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Houpty GT-
Try not to engage in a conversation without the knowledge to back it up, you just lead people astray with your uneducated gibberish.
The only point you make that is correct is the 930 brakes increase the unsprung weight (by about 4 lbs). But you are totally out of context when considering the weight of the car itself, the weight of the wheels ones uses.
In any performance modifications, there are (+)'s and (-)'s, and one must weigh out and trade off to get the desired results.
The opposite of going fast, is stopping fast. It's key if you ever spent a day on the track.
Steve's 930 kit allows one to drive the car at whatever level they choose, without EVER needing to even think about the brakes - no fade, even distribution, excellent modulation.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^ What 911S3.6 said. Houpty GT, you have opined on something for which you do not appear to be qualified to speak.

And now back to our show.....

I have Steve's kit installed on my 2565 pound (with my lard-a** in the car) track car. There is simply NO COMPARISON between SC brakes and 930 brakes. The 930 brake kit is expensive and worth every penny if you intend to do any serious track work. I readily admit that I am likely over-braked, but I have run for two years on the setup I bought from Steve - NOT ONE CASE of fade or sponge pedal, just strong, firm brakes every time. Tommy Archer's brother, Bobby (a Speed World Challenge Viper winner in his own right), drove my car and repeatedly made comments about how great the brakes were.

If you can find a set of real 930 brakes, buy them. They are worth every penny you pay for them. OBTW, they are becoming harder and harder to find.

Finally, other than being a VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER of Dr. Weiner, I have no affiliation (yet - he won't even send me the hat or stickers he promised me! ) with Rennsport Systems.

Toby
Old 12-10-2008, 08:59 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer
Ok, I'll ask.. What is the current set up (fluid, pads) and more importantly Air flow?

And yes, with money and effort 930 brakes can fit on your Carerra. So can 944T/964 brakes.. and so can Boxster brakes.. And so can Big Reds, if you step up to 17"s.. which you know you want to do anyway
I use ATE Racing Blue. Complete flush in August (before DE) and bled in September (before DE). I'm using OE style pads (Jurid from Pelican). They didn't fade much at the track but better pads are in my future.

I'm considering 17" wheels so I have a better selection of track tires (Toyo R1R, R888, etc). But I want to run my stock 16" for the street. The 17" will be dedicated track. I need whatever brakes I have to work for the 16" stock.

Tony: I believe you! I think Steve's kits are worth every penny. If I can find a set of 930 calipers, I will buy them. The guy I was trying to buy from actually had 944 calipers... he messed up. So, I'm searching again. I hope to have a dedicated track car one day and I will certainly install Steve's kit then. For now, I'm stuck with what I've got and I'm trying to improve it for DE until I can move up to the next level.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Houpty GT-
Try not to engage in a conversation without the knowledge to back it up, you just lead people astray with your uneducated gibberish.
....Steve's 930 kit allows one to drive the car at whatever level they choose, without EVER needing to even think about the brakes - no fade, even distribution, excellent modulation.
My .02, yoiu need to lighten up . Technically, HouptyGT is spot on. If the stock Carrera brakes can lock up the wheels (and indeed they can), then no, 930 brakes will NOT stop the car in any shorter distance, and it's all about "feel" and heat dissipation. In the hands of a REAL pro (which most of us aren't) the 930 setup would in fact NOT be an "upgrade", but for us novices, they do give a margin of error (from the redcution of brake fade, and overusing the brakes is why), better pad wear, etc. I've had a set of Steve's 930 brakes on my car for several years, and absolutely love them, but Houpty is certainly NOT uneducated. Steve, did you did forget about the removal of the heat shield mounting tabs from the trailing arms (at least on a Carrera)?. Considering the costs, I think Houpty is offering decent advice (i.e. getting the MOST out of the stock brakes), but YMMV.

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
The purpose of the larger brakes is not to stop the car sooner. What you may notice is that the large calipers and rotors are going to increase your unsprung weight which will reduce your handling. The larger rotors will also increase your rotating mass and this will reduce your torque and horsepower at the wheels. <snip>
Turbo brakes will give you more bragging rights though.
You bring up some good points that I had not considered. I appreciate your input. Thanks for the contribution. I can't claim a mastery of the subject of braking. In fact, my goal in life has been to use them as little as possible But on the track, that doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock SC brakes suuuuuuckkk. They do stop great for a lap or two, that is true (just read my daughter some Seuss tonight). I drove my old 993 on the track several times and big brakes (I only had stock brakes) make a huge difference; never experienced fade w/ those. I need to upgrade mine soon, just too bad so expensive.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

911vet has a Carrera. Carrera brakes with proper cooling are a nice (and a MUCH more economical) upgrade for your SC . Don't get me wrong, I like the 930 setup, but they are NOT cheap, so maximizing the Carrera braking system is indeed a nice alternative for most.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
yet - he won't even send me the hat or stickers he promised me! with Rennsport Systems.
Toby
My apologies, Toby,...I'm down to 5 functioning brain cells,..

Your hat, T-shirt, & stickers will leave here in the morning.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:47 AM
911S3.6
Pro

Hey KC911-
Not all of us are tightwads like you...LOL!
Hire a coach and learn how to drive that thing, maybe you will gain an appreciation for Steve's brake setup- it is obviously wasted on you.
BTW- you don't assert your credibility here talking costs, when you have been a Rennlister USER since 2002,
and yet, have NEVER PAID THE MEMBERSHIP FEE of $ 17.95...ROFLMAO!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Hey KC911-
Not all of us are tightwads like you...LOL!
Hire a coach and learn how to drive that thing, maybe you will gain an appreciation for Steve's brake setup- it is obviously wasted on you.
BTW- you don't assert your credibility here talking costs, when you have been a Rennlister USER since 2002,
and yet, have NEVER PAID THE MEMBERSHIP FEE of $ 17.95...ROFLMAO!
Once again, you should lighten up ! I'm certainly no tightwad, and have spent PLENTY on my "baby", including probably $4K on the 930 brake setup from Steve, but MANY simply do not have that kind of "spare change" laying around. You know not what you speak of regarding Rennlist either . I HAVE been a paying member in the past, and supported John D's efforts, but when this site became "corporate" and simply a "business venture", while continuing to accept money from MotorMeister , they will never see another cent from me. I have NO problem spending ALL of my time, lending advice, and experience over on Pelican, but I still thought I still had something to offer here, and have tried to help others whenever I could. On second thought...this may very well be my last post here. Adios all, it's been fun, and I hope "maybe" I've helped some of you guys/gals over the years, but life's just to short to put up with with uptight condescending jerks.

ps: BTW, Houpty is/was ABSOLUTELY correct, it is YOU who appears uneducated...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Well look at it this way .. if Keith continues to not get a membership for about another 3500 years, he may be able to buy those brakes ...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM
ernie944
Instructor

What is a good price to pay for a set of 944Turbo brakes front and rear and how hard is to pu them on an SC. thanks

Ernie
Old 12-11-2008, 01:59 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Damn...I had to look up at the browser for a second...thought I was on Pelican. Alot more jerks over there.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
911S3.6
Pro

my bad poopsie, meet me in the washroom and you can have your way with me.....
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

no kidding I was just there .. first time in years ..... after about 20 minutesi had about had enough . MM posts will get you flamed and god help you if you have asked a queston that has already been asked. I like this place WAY better , we can still give and take a little and be friends .. okay guys ... group hug ..

Quick Reply: Do 930 brakes bolt on a 911? Are they a big improvement?