Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do 930 brakes bolt on a 911? Are they a big improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:50 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do 930 brakes bolt on a 911? Are they a big improvement?

I have a chance to buy a set of 930 brake calipers. If I recall, they are direct bolt on for a 911 but require thicker rotors. Is that right?

Also, does anyone know if they will fit under my stock 16" Fuchs?

I assume they will provide a significant increase in braking power. I need more brake on the track. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Shannon
87 Carrera Cabriolet
Old 12-09-2008, 10:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Oh my.....we have created a monster!

Shannon,from what I understand on the subject, which is not a lot, is that if you are not overheating your current brakes (on the track) then there is not need for bigger brakes.

But if you can get 930 calipers for cheap you can always sell them on pelican for more money.

-matt
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by old man neri
Oh my.....we have created a monster!

Shannon,from what I understand on the subject, which is not a lot, is that if you are not overheating your current brakes (on the track) then there is not need for bigger brakes.

But if you can get 930 calipers for cheap you can always sell them on pelican for more money.

-matt
Poor Matt, You know nothing about the track... it isn't about reality or physics, it's about having the best toys. Of course I need better brakes, whether I need them or not, I need them.

(Monster, yes, I just bought a set of Recaro Pole Positions and Schroth harnesses.)
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
I have a chance to buy a set of 930 brake calipers. If I recall, they are direct bolt on for a 911 but require thicker rotors. Is that right?

Also, does anyone know if they will fit under my stock 16" Fuchs?

I assume they will provide a significant increase in braking power. I need more brake on the track. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Shannon
87 Carrera Cabriolet
Shannon,

930 brakes can be fitted to your car with the right parts and some machine work. These fit any 15" or 16" Fuchs wheels,...

You'll need:

1) Front 930 rotor/(flat) hat package. Many options here and some are much better than others.

2) Factory 930 caliper mounting bolts and washers.

3) Factory short brake lines.

4) Rear 930 rotors; these are all the same, '78-'89.

5) Rear calipers must be machined to fit along with some custom spacers to center the caliper properly over the rotor. You'll need 12x40mm socket head mounting bolts and washers, too.

6) 12" metric brake line to connect the calipers to the flex lines.

7) 930 Master cylinder.

8) Pads; street or track.

We do offer the necessary caliper machine work as well as our own front rotor/hat package, if that helps you. These brakes offer a HUGE improvement in braking capacity and must be experienced to be believed on these lighter cars. I've been doing these upgrades since 1978.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Shannon,

930 brakes can be fitted to your car with the right parts and some machine work. These fit any 15" or 16" Fuchs wheels,...

We do offer the necessary caliper machine work as well as our own front rotor/hat package, if that helps you.
Hi Steve,

After my initial post, I found some links that spell out some of the mods needed to put the 930s on the 911. I'll go check out your site now.

But, it appears the guy selling the 930s was mistaken about what he had. Looks like they are really 944 calipers, so I may be out of luck.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
old man neri
Drifting

944 Calipers are all the rage these days.....

Sorry to hear about that Shannon. Keep on looking on the Pelican classifieds, they are always around.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 PM
RL Technical Advisor

944 Calipers are all the rage these days.....

Sorry to hear about that Shannon. Keep on looking on the Pelican classifieds, they are always around.
944 calipers are fine for street use, but they don't compare to 930 ones due to rotor thickness limitations that make them unsuitable for the track or competition.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Steven,

I was actually just being a sarcastic *** but you are not saying that 944 calipers are an upgrade on an 88 911 are you? Like I said before, I know very little about 911 brakes. I just rebuilt my first set about a month ago.

-matt
Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Steven,

I was actually just being a sarcastic *** but you are not saying that 944 calipers are an upgrade on an 88 911 are you? Like I said before, I know very little about 911 brakes. I just rebuilt my first set about a month ago.

-matt
Apparently, the 944 TURBO calipers are considered an upgrade by many. They have 4 pistons and I think more pad surface area. Not sure they provide any better heat sink... (i.e. if the rotor is thicker)???
Old 12-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I believe any Carrera (and probably SC's too) will benefit from larger brakes on the track. As Steve says, you have to experience the difference.

Not to mention, your rotors and pads will seem to last forever. In my case, I'm finally changing my front pads this week after 2 3/4 years and probably 8-10 track weekends, and a bit of spirited driving on back roads. The only attention my brakes need is an inspection and a flush with new Motul RBF600 fluid before a track weekend.

I don't have 930 brakes, but rather 993 calipers all around on 309 X 32mm front rotors, and actually stock Carrera rotors in back. The pads in the rear overhang the rotors a bit, but they work. I may change to 930 rear rotors when I change the rears next.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Shannon,

You'll need:

1) Front 930 rotor/(flat) hat package. Many options here and some are much better than others.

2) Factory 930 caliper mounting bolts and washers.

3) Factory short brake lines.

4) Rear 930 rotors; these are all the same, '78-'89.

5) Rear calipers must be machined to fit along with some custom spacers to center the caliper properly over the rotor. You'll need 12x40mm socket head mounting bolts and washers, too.

6) 12" metric brake line to connect the calipers to the flex lines.

7) 930 Master cylinder.

8) Pads; street or track.

We do offer the necessary caliper machine work as well as our own front rotor/hat package, if that helps you. These brakes offer a HUGE improvement in braking capacity and must be experienced to be believed on these lighter cars. I've been doing these upgrades since 1978.
I agree. You have to be careful with them at first as you tend to want to brake earlier and with more force like the stock brakes. You want too wait as long as possible and give them a firm squeeze. In a 2500 lb car they stop right now. Its amazing. I changed to PFC 97 as the Pagid's that were in the car when I bought it were grabby. Love the PFCs
Old 12-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't expect any improvement in braking distance. I have read in published articles that the 911 has very good brakes to begin with. The larger turbo brakes use bigger and heavier rotors to absorb the heat that is generated from larger more powerful turbo engines that generate more speed thus created a need for more braking and more heat generated. The purpose of the larger brakes is not to stop the car sooner. What you may notice is that the large calipers and rotors are going to increase your unsprung weight which will reduce your handling. The larger rotors will also increase your rotating mass and this will reduce your torque and horsepower at the wheels. You are also adding weight to the total car weight which will also reduce accelleration and increase braking distance.
My first piece of advice is the ensure that the brakes you currently have are in good condition and operating optimally.
Turbo brakes will give you more bragging rights though.

Last edited by Houpty GT; 12-11-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM
prials
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
Turbo brakes will give you more bragging rights though.

Well ..... there ya go!
Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM
racer
Drifting

Ok, I'll ask.. What is the current set up (fluid, pads) and more importantly Air flow?

And yes, with money and effort 930 brakes can fit on your Carerra. So can 944T/964 brakes.. and so can Boxster brakes.. And so can Big Reds, if you step up to 17"s.. which you know you want to do anyway
Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by racer
Ok, I'll ask.. What is the current set up (fluid, pads) and more importantly Air flow?

And yes, with money and effort 930 brakes can fit on your Carerra. So can 944T/964 brakes.. and so can Boxster brakes.. And so can Big Reds, if you step up to 17"s.. which you know you want to do anyway

Fluid and pad choices are largely by personal preference as well as how the car will be used: street, DE events, or racing. There are many options here,...

Installing a good brake cooling kit along with block-off plates is mandatory for any kind of track use.

For the record,....944T/964, Boxster brakes don't even compare to 930 calipers and rotors. Those are fine for street use but NFG for track (DE or racing) when using race tires. 930 brakes fit any 15" or 16" Fuchs and Boxster brakes require 16" wheels of some kind.

Big Red's (Brembo GTP's) are largely overkill for anything but racing and do require 17" wheels.

IMHO, its important to make fair comparisons,...

Quick Reply: Do 930 brakes bolt on a 911? Are they a big improvement?