Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

idle surging

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 04:26 PM
sharky.
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post idle surging

the idle on my car 88 3.2 , surges between 400-1100 rpm cold /400-900 warm sometimes cut out ,i don't suppose this is normall ? any advice please.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:53 PM
mrtonyn
4th Gear

Hello,
That sounds like too much of a surge.
My 87 did slightly surged and my mechanic simply unpluged the oxygen sensor (I think) and the idle was more stable. This connector is on the left side (below the fuel filter).
tony
Old 06-04-2002, 02:47 PM
pbs911
Instructor

I don't know if this will help since my experiece is with the CIS of a 78SC. My surging problems stopped after cleaning all of the electrical connections on the fuel system. Some of them were gunked up and probably connected since 78! It can't hurt to clean all the connections. Also take a look at all the the vacuum connections to be sure they are not split or craked.

Disconnecting the oxygen sensor on the exhaust also seems correct the problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Mike Scott
Intermediate

Since the surging occurs both cold and hot, I would investigate the head temp. sensor or a possible vacuum leak. If your head temp. sensor is the original 1 wire part, I would go ahead and replace it with the newer 2 wire model and eliminate that possibility first. The 1 wire part is bound to give you problems sooner or later anyway.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Lane
Intermediate

I had a previous problem with the idle on my '88 3.2 but it was actually bucking and caring on, real ruff like, but if you throttled it off of idle it seemed to run fine. I changed the intake gaskets, and head temp sensor after going through everything that I thought might be the problem [vacumm leaks, o2 sensor, etc...]. After reading in a Bosch book that I have it stated that if these certain things check out you have missed something basic. So I went back through everything again. As it turns out it was the #3 spark plug wire! It had been torn from it's boot reinstalled and taped to hold it in and had the boot seal pushed back over it [PO mechanic?]. Now this I found after pulling it all out and laying it on the floor and going over each wire. Oh and I did try pulling each wire while it was running but found no differance in the way it ran. Just something to ad to the confusion.
Lane

Quick Reply: idle surging