Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

After a very long fall shes done! pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a very long fall shes done! pics

Well my car received some serious work this fall. The week after limerock vintage festival i pulled the motor to do a complete top end job. Took me about three months but last Wednesday i fired her up for the first time and she runs excellent, done just in time to go away for the winter. I was very happy not a leak in sight or a puff of smoke. I couldn't be more pleased. I also set the suspension and put 7's and 9's on the car i think it looks great. Here are some pics after all the work was done. I wish i had takes some before and after shots but i always forget. Hope you guys like it.
Attached Images    
Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Steely
Instructor

She's beautiful - well done, and thanks fer sharin'.
The engine and 9's look awesome - You polished the fan too - looks real nice.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Thanks a lot, sorry for the lousy pictures.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM
elpresidente
Racer

Wow, great work. Just like a new car! Love the color
Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work! Very understated and tastefully done.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:05 AM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I love the sight of a clean engine. Did you do all the work yourself ?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:52 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

If the fan was polished and is not just a new fan, would you mind going through the process of how you polished it? It looks fantastic!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Germancar90
Instructor

Thanks a lot everyone. I did 80% of the entire motor job, i had some help from a local shop that only works on German cars. I am very good friends with the owners and they were generous enough to steer me in the right direction. Its amazing, never let anyone tell you that a 3.2L flat six is simple, its crazy how complicated they are. I received a lot of help on timing and setting up the cam boxes, rockers etc etc. I am only 18 so this was a big project for me and thankfully it came out right. I'm trying to find some pictures of underneath the motor as well. I polished the entire original exhaust system as well came out excellent. I'm not sure if you can see in the pictures but the chain boxes as well as the valve covers are polished. As for the fan that is the original, to get that shine i used a product called "Speedy" metal Polish its a 2 step process and works excellent. At first i started out sanding the entire fan with 150 grit sand paper to get out all the high and low spots, then you keep working up through the grades from 150-220-320-400-600-800 all by hand. Then once you get an even smooth finish you start rubbing in the 1st stage of speedy i probably spent 15 minutes on this swirling in a circular motion. Once you feel that stage is complete you wipe it off completely and you should see the shine begin. The magic happens on the second stage though as you apply it the same way as the first step. after only a few minutes you should see incredible results like a mirror. All and all it took about 2 hours to get my results. I am very pleased. Hope this helps

Last edited by Germancar90; 12-07-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Great work, dude. That's a beautiful Carrera. Love that color-
Old 12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Germancar90
Thanks a lot everyone. I did 90% of the entire motor job, i had some help from a local shop that only works on German cars. I am very good friends with the owners and they were generous enough to steer me in the right direction. Its amazing, never let anyone tell you that a 3.L flat six is simple, its crazy how complicated they are. I received a lot of help on timing and setting up the cam boxes, rockers etc etc. I am only 18 so this was a big project for me and thankfully it came out right. I'm trying to find some pictures of underneath the motor as well. I polished the entire original exhaust system as well came out excellent. I'm not sure if you can see in the pictures but the chain boxes as well as the valve covers are polished. As for the fan that is the original, to get that shine i used a product called "Speedy" metal Polish its a 2 step process and works excellent. At first i started out sanding the entire fan with 150 grit sand paper to get out all the high and low spots, then you keep working up through the grades from 150-220-320-400-600-800 all by hand. Then once you get an even smooth finish you start rubbing in the 1st stage of speedy i probably spent 15 minutes on this swirling in a circular motion. Once you feel that stage is complete you wipe it off completely and you should see the shine begin. The magic happens on the second stage though as you apply it the same way as the first step. after only a few minutes you should see incredible results like a mirror. All and all it took about 2 hours to get my results. I am very pleased. Hope this helps
Congratulations, that is quite an achievment for an 18 year old young man. Bravo. Do post some more pictures if you have them.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Thanks guys i really appreciate it. If i can find the other pictures i have i will post them otherwise ill have to wait until the spring to take some more seeing as though she is now put away for the winter months :-(.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:32 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice going! 18 years old, huh? You have impeccable taste, sir. Your car is beautiful.

Henry
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am jealous, mine is still down. I am doing a full rebuild.

Great accomplishment for an 18 yr old!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kris wrote "for an 18 year old" and Tippy wrote "Great accomplishment for an 18 yr old". I know you guys meant nothing but a compliment, but I think its a huge accomplishment regardless of age. Most of the p-car guys I know would not even attempt it. I did mine two winters ago, at 45 yrs old, and am very proud of "fired her up" and "not a leak in sight or a puff of smoke" two years later, and mine looks nowhere as nice as his.

Kris and Tippy, please don't take offense. I just think Germancar90 deserves full kudos for a successful project that is enviable regardless of his age.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:28 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Kris and Tippy, please don't take offense. I just think Germancar90 deserves full kudos for a successful project that is enviable regardless of his age.
No offense taken at all Don, in fact I'm absolutely on the same line as you.

Quick Reply: After a very long fall shes done! pics