Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

After a very long fall shes done! pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all it means a lot to me that people appreciate what i have done with my car. You never really know if what you are doing is right until you get some feedback from other p-car owners. Hkiang did you polish the lips on your Fuchs?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great work to read about. I love the work on the fan and the paint color too! I agree, this is a good accomplishment at any age.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks great. One thing though-most all accounts I've read of people polishing their fans have lived to regret it. The magnesium will start to look "not so polished" in fairly short order, and then it's a losing proposition to go in and try to keep it looking good with the engine back in the car. Who knows? Maybe your stuff will be different.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Looks great. One thing though-most all accounts I've read of people polishing their fans have lived to regret it. The magnesium will start to look "not so polished" in fairly short order, and then it's a losing proposition to go in and try to keep it looking good with the engine back in the car. Who knows? Maybe your stuff will be different.
Thank you. Its like anything that is polished it takes more maintenance. Fortunately the product i use has a wax in the final stage for some extra protection. I am kind of a detail nut and i look at it as just giving me something to do on a rainy day. If need be i can always remove the fan also if I'm not mistaken its aluminum.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay H
This is great work to read about. I love the work on the fan and the paint color too! I agree, this is a good accomplishment at any age.
Thank you very much
Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbryant61
kris wrote "for an 18 year old" and Tippy wrote "Great accomplishment for an 18 yr old". I know you guys meant nothing but a compliment, but I think its a huge accomplishment regardless of age. Most of the p-car guys I know would not even attempt it. I did mine two winters ago, at 45 yrs old, and am very proud of "fired her up" and "not a leak in sight or a puff of smoke" two years later, and mine looks nowhere as nice as his.

Kris and Tippy, please don't take offense. I just think Germancar90 deserves full kudos for a successful project that is enviable regardless of his age.
Yes, it is a great accomplishment at any age but especially at 18. I was proud to of rebuilt a few V8's and a couple diesels at that age, the 3.2 is far more complicated. It is always on my mind if everything is going to go well on my rebuild and I dont want to pull it apart for something I overlooked. Gcar90 already made it past that stage and is enjoying his. Hats off.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

Great accomplishment.

Could you elaborate on what you did to the motor. What parts did you change, what did they cost.

Good job
Old 12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've found a proven and what I consider an asthetically pleasing process of re-finishing the fan/housing. It takes about 20 minutes and lasts indefinitely. This was my fall back plan to polishing which I found to be a huge PITA.
Also a 2 stage process:

Stage one: Scotchbrite
Stage two: Rustoleum Stainless steel spray-bomb

The final product is sligthly textured and covers up any high/low spots for a consistent, gun-metal/pewter finish. I put 40k miles on my 88 and no visable 'wear'.

The car in these pics is FOR SALE, 1984 black/burgandy coupe 47k miles. If interested, PM me. I took that pic yesterday and haven't posted the car for sale anywhere yet.

Brgds, Peter
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by Batman 357
Great accomplishment.

Could you elaborate on what you did to the motor. What parts did you change, what did they cost.

Good job
Sure, I pulled the motor power washed and tore it completely down but still left the bottom end in tacked. tore down the heads sand blasted and cleaned them all. Replaced the guides, valves and rebuilt with all new seals. The cam boxes as well as most other parts were washed thoroughly in parts cleaner all other parts were restored/painted or polished. When i took the cylinders off i noticed that there was a broken ring which contributed to the oil burning. Put new pistons and rings in the car. All of the rocker shafts received the o-ring upgrade to reduce the risk of leaking. Replaced the rear main as well as all other removed seals. There is a lot involved in this project i thought i had a clue, ha not at all this was sure a learning experience. Porsche is amazing for instance under every valve spring base there are spacers. They are put there to make sure that each valve spring has equal tension. Its amazing to think that whoever built the motor had to measure and make sure that each spring was equal. No BMW or Mercedes that i have heard of has had that much care put into its engine. Its such a complex little engine that makes gobs of power. As for the parts i used all OEM Porsche. Your car looks sweet by the way i have always had a sweet spot for guards red
Old 12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. I did polish the lips on my Fuchs. They are 7 & 8s also, like yours.

Henry
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Wow i like that a lot. I was considering doing that to mine but i wasn't sure how it would look. I think i just found my winter project. Your car is gorgeous beautiful job!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Batman 357
Instructor

What was the mileage on the motor.

Mine’s at 190k and I know Porsche magic wont last forever.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,106 Likes on 791 Posts

Okay a couple of questions for ya'all

what the hell is scotch Brite ? i guess it does not exist in canada but what exactly is it ?
Peter do you know the spray bomb rutsoleum number off the can ? looks pretty close to original and I would like to get some
henry how did you polish up so well ? what was the process ?
Old 12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Okay a couple of questions for ya'all

what the hell is scotch Brite ? i guess it does not exist in canada but what exactly is it ?
Peter do you know the spray bomb rutsoleum number off the can ? looks pretty close to original and I would like to get some
henry how did you polish up so well ? what was the process ?
Clive, we do have Scotch Brite here in canada, but it is a line of cleaning products. You need to find out which item he is talking about.

Scotch Brite
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by Batman 357
What was the mileage on the motor.

Mine’s at 190k and I know Porsche magic wont last forever.
Wow thats a hell of a lot of miles for an untouched engine are you sure your motor hasn't had a once over? Mine had 100k on it and definitely needed attention.

Last edited by Germancar90; 12-09-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: After a very long fall shes done! pics