Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dragging my feet

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dragging my feet

It's gotta happen tonight but I'm sitting here doing everything I can to avoid the deed.

I have to put my 911 in storage for the winter; weather is going to be crappy for the next several days and I'm off to Germany on Saturday.

The car hasn't even been mine for a month and I've got to put her away. I never imagined it would be this tough but I've really grown to enjoy driving this car more than any other I've owned.

Thanks for listening - I knew this crowd would have some empathy or, in the case of those in warmer climes, sympathy.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racer, there are many schools of thought on "putting her away". Did you buy to drive, or own? I bought mine to drive, and I've put on 45k+ miles in 4 years so far. I have snows for her, which I use mostly for emergency use, but do take her out for runs during the winter if the roads are clear after a nice rain to wash the salt away, which I usually manage a couple of times a month at a minimum during the worst.

You're only going this way once, and if you're lamenting the lack of oneness with her already, sounds like you might consider coming to the dark side.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
It's gotta happen tonight but I'm sitting here doing everything I can to avoid the deed.

I have to put my 911 in storage for the winter; weather is going to be crappy for the next several days and I'm off to Germany on Saturday.

The car hasn't even been mine for a month and I've got to put her away. I never imagined it would be this tough but I've really grown to enjoy driving this car more than any other I've owned.

Thanks for listening - I knew this crowd would have some empathy or, in the case of those in warmer climes, sympathy.
I had the same issue when I bought mine. I got delivery October 31st and put her away 2 weeks later. I feel for you because that winter was the longest winter of my life.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that if you store your Porsche for the winter, when that first warm day comes around after all the salt has been washed away, it's like getting a brand new 911. It's a great feeling to get the car out in spring.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

I just recently bought winter tires and rims for mine. I am moving over on or about the beginning of Jan. so I will have to drive it about 1500mi through some very winding, hilly, and snowy roads. Should be a blast!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Did you buy to drive, or own?
I bought it to do both, actually. The car is just too minty (64k miles, original paint, rare color) to trash in the snow.

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
if you're lamenting the lack of oneness with her already, sounds like you might consider coming to the dark side.
The thought has crossed my mind that I should have gone with a 'less pristine' car because, not only will I count the days until it comes out again, I'm thinking I might want to spend some time on the track. I wonder if I could sneak another 911 in the garage without my wife noticing?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Winter tires, putting car away, can't drive for months....I really feel sorry for you guys.
abe
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Rub it in, why dontcha?

It's done (mostly)....long drive including topping off the tank, treating with Stabil, tires overinflated and sitting on carpet, big container of Silica Gel on the passenger floor.

Didn't feel like pulling the battery tonight; that'll happen tomorrow, along with the final covering since the car was still a bit warm when I walked away with tears in my eyes....
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

All I can say is that sucks. Mine's on the lift for a trans fluid change, a brake fluid flush and an overall inspection this weekend so that she can safely make her California track debut at Willow Springs on 12/13.

Quick Reply: Dragging my feet