Auto Transport Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:21 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auto Transport Info

Can anybody recommend a transport company? Looking to move my 88-911 from the west coast to the east.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I used DAS from San Fran to Connecticut. Great service, great price (under $1,000), plus they have a tracking system so you can check up on where your car is at all times.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:46 AM
T-Rock
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hog Haulers does a great job. Transported my Boxster S from Detroit to SW Missouri, enclosed, for $875.00. Very nice people to work with also. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 AM
jhubs
Racer

Bad experience with DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) from Denver to Virginia. I would not recommend them.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
muis
Intermediate

I had a real cheap quote from DAS, so I went with them. Car was delivered with damage. Fog light damage is excluded from their insurance, and the damage to the exhaust didn't meet their deductible. So in the end they cost me a lot of money.
Since there are so many different companies that can transport or broker a transport, you should check here
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

DeMoise Trucking transported my RSA from Maryland to CA. I was very happy with how quickly they scheduled the service and I highly recommend them.

http://www.demoise.com/
Old 11-28-2008, 02:23 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Used Intercity two years ago from Riverside,Ca to Middletown, NJ door to door cost 1400.00
in an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM
MDL
Racer

These people delivered my 911
http://www.exoticcartransport.com/#Scene_1

I've also used Thomas Sunday before as well. Both did a nice job.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a coupla friends have also used DeMoise - very pleased - they are very Porsche experienced.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My brother and I have shipped two 911's via Intercity Lines. Exceptional service and both cars arrived perfectly. They also have satelite tracking and the cars are very well covered in their enclosed trailers during transport. I highly recommend Intercity Lines.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 AM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info, intracity wanted 1900 coast to coast, DeMoise 1700. Both were the most expensive but both have the best ratings. I'll call DeMoise on Monday
Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't know your time constraints but I think there are some auctions coming up in Arizona. Maybe the transporters might have some empty space going back east.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You're making the right decision. I've arranged moves for many cars for myself, friends and family members over the last few years. You will soon forget the few hundred extra bucks you spend for a quality outfit, but you will never forget a bad experience borne out of trying to save a little money on a cheaper move. I've had every kind of experience from bad to good, and I would definitely stay away from brokers. Even the best-intentioned are at the mercy of whatever crew they contract with. I've used DAS to move cars I didn't care that much about, but they've gotten worse and worse and I wouldn't use them to haul my wheelbarrow now. The cheaper outfits like them use terminals, switch trailers en route, load and unload multiple times, etc. - and even if you pay for their "best" service, I wouldn't trust them to not do that sort of thing.

I had a very good experience with a small-time broker (who was recommended to me by DeMoise, because they weren't coming this way at the time) three years ago when I moved the Porsche from Chicago to Seattle. This guy knew a mom-and-pop outfit based in WI with 3 or 4 trucks who did specialty-vehicle hauling. They were just great. But if possible, I would stick with one of the two you got quotes from.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
You will soon forget the few hundred extra bucks you spend for a quality outfit, but you will never forget a bad experience borne out of trying to save a little money on a cheaper move.
I can't agree with this more. Very well put.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:53 PM
qball
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
You're making the right decision. I've arranged moves for many cars for myself, friends and family members over the last few years. You will soon forget the few hundred extra bucks you spend for a quality outfit, but you will never forget a bad experience borne out of trying to save a little money on a cheaper move. I've had every kind of experience from bad to good, and I would definitely stay away from brokers. Even the best-intentioned are at the mercy of whatever crew they contract with. I've used DAS to move cars I didn't care that much about, but they've gotten worse and worse and I wouldn't use them to haul my wheelbarrow now. The cheaper outfits like them use terminals, switch trailers en route, load and unload multiple times, etc. - and even if you pay for their "best" service, I wouldn't trust them to not do that sort of thing.

I had a very good experience with a small-time broker (who was recommended to me by DeMoise, because they weren't coming this way at the time) three years ago when I moved the Porsche from Chicago to Seattle. This guy knew a mom-and-pop outfit based in WI with 3 or 4 trucks who did specialty-vehicle hauling. They were just great. But if possible, I would stick with one of the two you got quotes from.
Went with DeMoise, spoke to Bill this morning, owns a 911SC himself. I like the idea of a small familly business.

Quick Reply: Auto Transport Info