Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'75 911S first start in 10 yrs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001 | 02:25 AM
Brent151
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '75 911S first start in 10 yrs

We're about to start a 75 S after it has been sitting for 10 years. What would be the most important proceedures to follow prior to attempting to turn over?

It has been stored poorly, fluids not drained etc...

This is an attempt to determine what might need replacing before droppong the engine.

110000 miles prior to storage. CIS system failure was the reason for the coma. with a new CIS on the garage floor we're ready for the next step.

Thank you
Old 08-21-2001 | 10:56 AM
Paul H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing the same thing with an engine that has been sitting. Change your fluids, crank your engine until you get oil pressure, make sure you have a spark, then add some new gas (make sure you have the pop-off valve).

I would also clean out the fuel tank (check the archives for Bill's directions about changing the in-tank and inline fuel filters). You should also clean out the oil tank, any rust or dust/grit will otherwise go right into your main bearings.

You'll want to replace your brake fluid, replace the rubber brake lines and bleed your brakes.

Welcome to the Porsche world. Expect to spend about 20% more than you would have for a fully restored nicely running similar Porsche.
Old 08-21-2001 | 12:58 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brent,
The advice about building some oil pressure before firing up the motor is good. I might add: disable the ignition and fuel pump power, then crank until you see substantial oil pressure.

I think your main problem with getting this motor to run, is going to be a gummed-up fuel system. It may run for a bit, but I fear, not for long. After 10 years of storage, *any* trace of fuel is going to turn to gum. This stuff will block just about any orifice, and is most difficult to remove.

You may find it very hard to clean out the fuel lines between the tank and engine compartment. They may need to be replaced, as will other sensitive parts. Familiarize yourself with the entire system, then start the restoration methodically. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2001 | 05:36 PM
Kurt V
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brent, all the above is good advice, but I would first make sure the piston rings haven't frozen to the cylinder walls. You try to turn the engine over in that state and you have guaranteed yourself a rebuild. I would remove the spark plugs and spray some WD40 into each cylinder. Wait overnight and then see if you can move the pistons by either pushing the car a bit in 5th gear or by turning the fan. You may also find the clutch has rusted to the flywheel. As for the gas gumming everything up, maybe, maybe not. Depends on the quality of the gas and how much air got to things. In most cases you will have things clogged from gas varnish and sludge, but I have seen cars and motorcycles stored with gas for a number of years and start up with just a drain of the old gas and using some new gas. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2001 | 06:57 PM
Reg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck Brent! I am in a similar state right now. My car is now running, but not properly.

Quick Reply: '75 911S first start in 10 yrs