Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Try a Little 911 Tenderness

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
einreb92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Try a Little 911 Tenderness

OK. I'm still on the hunt for a P-car and had a thought I wanted to run by the group. While I have my sights almost firmly fixed on a super clean '88, would driving in the fashion which I have described below have more deleterious effects on one motor and power train than another?

If I am going to do the majority of my driving around town, short errands and the occasional longer cruise, which car would take less offense at not being driven hard in terms of allowing more carbon build up, not regularly achieving redline and establishing good fluid flow etc?
An '87-89,
an early '90s series or
a later 90's series if I could find one in a good state of maintenance?

If (by insurance requirement) I will only drive at max 2500 miles per year, which makes more sense? - a modern car that will still thrill me, or a classic that has the potential for longer utility without some of the frills?

Some of you have said the cost per mile of the more modern cars is higher, but if I'm not going to be racking up a ton of miles, and will use this wonderful machine on a not-daily-basis, how does that impact the cost over say a three to five year ownership? Woudl your answer still be the same?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, IMHO, I think you are thinking too hard. All of the Porsche's have something unique about them in their driving experience and I really don't think it matters that you will be doing mostly city driving. Get the car that you love the look of. Get the transmission that you think you will find the most entertaining to drive. Get a car that does not have a record of serious issues. Bottom line, get a car and enjoy it!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

..."OK. I'm still on the hunt for a P-car and had a thought I wanted to run by the group. While I have my sights almost firmly fixed on a super clean '88, would driving in the fashion which I have described below have more deleterious effects...QUOTE]

I think what you need to focus on is the delirious effect that driving a 911 everyday will have on you...you think too much....listen to justin....
Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Redline is not a requirement; not lugging the motor is the key.

Any car takes a hit if it is only driven short distances and not allowed to fully warm up. It really isn't about fluid flow, it's about building up enough heat to drive the water molecules out of the oil. If the oil didn't flow right when cold, the engine wouldn't last too long. If you only need to take a short errand trip-take the scenic route!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very, very difficult to make a rational justification for any Porsche purchase. You certainly don't need the buy a Porsche to get from one place to another. Realizing that, I personally feel that emotion should rule the day. Get the Porsche financially in your reach that moves something in you. If you don't know, yet, what moves you, keep looking and driving examples. You're on a pilgrimage to find Nirvana. And, like I said before, your first Porsche may not be Nirvana, yet.

Any automobile internal combustion engine suffers more from short hop driving. The best defense is more frequent oil changes. I would not seek to find a differentiating factor between 911s based on this criterion.

The Porsche the makes the best sense is the one that you're happiest driving, happiest being seen in, and most enjoy turning back to look at when you walk away after parking it.

Brett
Old 11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water cooled would be my recommendation for stop & go / short trips.

Quick Reply: Try a Little 911 Tenderness