Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Starting a motor that sat for 3-4 years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Starting a motor that sat for 3-4 years...

So, I'm thinking of buying a 912, (I'm on the 911 forum because there's no action on the 912 forum!!!), with a motor that was rebuilt 3-4 years ago and has never been run. Any advice on what to do before starting it up?

Thanks for your response!

-CKKrause
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 AM
muis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try here:
http://www.912bbs.org/index.php
Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
cokeloop
Advanced

take the coil-plug off and run the engine on the starter for a couple seconds, to move some oil around to lubricate before it runs.. Oh, and don't forget to put the coil-plug back on before you start her!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 192 Posts

My usual drill for engines that have sat for extended periods of time is to take out the spark plugs, and use an oil can to apply some marvel's mystery oil (or equiv.) into the cylinders. I let it sit like that for about 24 hours, and then try to turn the engine over by hand. Assuming this goes well, I leave the plugs out and crank the starter looking for oil pressure. Then put the plugs back in and fire it up. Make sure this new engine has fresh / clean oil and fuel.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks! Marvel Mystery Oil?!?! Really...what's in that stuff? I've seen it recommended several times recently...

Thanks again!

-CKKrause
Old 11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
DWalker
Racer

Depends on how/where the car was stored, but the basics are:

Drain the engine oil and refill with new.
Change the oil and fuel filters
Drain the fuel tank and carb float bowls. If you have an electric fuel pump flush the fuel lines out as well.
Check the distributor and oil the contact points, shaft bearing, etc. lightly. While your there check the cap/rotor/wires/coil for any obvious issues and replace as needed.
Pull the plugs, spray a lubricant such as WD40, Marvel Mystery Oil, PB Blaster, etc down each and every spark plug hole and allow to sit for at least one hour. Go have lunch, take a trip to the gym and workout, or simply listen to the wife telling you about how you shouldnt have bought the car in the first place.
When you return to the car get a decent size 1/2 breaker bar and socket to fit your crank pulley. SLOWLY and CAREFULLY rotate the motor clockwise. You should feel a some resistance, but if the engine "sticks" or outright stops, stop and reverse. Spray more oil into the cylinder, wait, and try to rotate the engine agian, the rings will scrape the softened carbon or rust from the cylinder walls but if you use too much force you will break a ring and get to put new ones in. Continue until you can turn the engine over completely. You must have the engine rotating smoothly by hand before trying to use the starter- spinning a "dry" engine that has sat and likely has rust or carbon build-up on the cylinder walls is a fantastic way to break rings.
Next, pop the valve covers off and inspect the rockers, pushrods, etc for excessive rust/dirt/etc. Clean them as needed and spray the entire rocker train with a gel lube. silicone spray, etc. Replace the valve covers and gaskets as needed.
Once the engine is spinning on the starter leave the plugs out and crank the motor until you have some oil pressure.
Replace the spark plugs in thier holes, fill the float bowls with fresh fuel, and see if she starts.

The important thing to realize about an engine that has sat is that it is DRY- and "just winging the thing over an seein if she will start" is just about the worst thing possible, and can cause all sorts of damage.

Quick Reply: Starting a motor that sat for 3-4 years...