Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'84 911 w/ 203K miles......

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 PM
997for40
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '84 911 w/ 203K miles......

I'm still waiting on the service records on the car if any rebuilt was done. The current owner died and the wife is selling the car thru a broker/friend. They only had the car for a year. The guy handling the sale is not really familiar w/ p-cars.

The cars exterior condition is decent daily driver, interior is great, engine has a very minor oil leak ( a drop under the crank case). I drove the car and it pulls strong and the gears are sound.

Is this worth spending a PPI or just walk away from a ticking time bomb. The asking is $13.5K and ohh I forget it's a widebody. The option sticker is missing but the turbo brakes are present. I have no way of authenticating this unless I order a cert from PCNA.

As always your thoughs/feedbacks are much appreciated
Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

High mileage doesn't mean a ticking time bomb. The fact that the gears are sound and it pulls strong with 200K mi means that someone must have taken care of it at some point.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a coupe (were wide bodies made that were not coupe), I would be active in an attempted purchase. Steps i would take -----

1. Run a Carfax.com (for $25) to verify the miles, accidents, salvage title etc.
2. Verify that it is a REAL wide body, and if it is, quickly get a pre- buy inspection.
3. If things go well, I would then get the widow (real owner) to discuss a price, face to face-- not over the phone. I would have the cash in $100 bills with me for completing a deal.
4. I would tell her I have cash with me and I will give her $11,000 in $100 bills for the car then and there.
5. With 200,000 miles, even with the wide body desirability, I feel $12,000 would be my limit in todays economy. Banks are not lending, and things are hard to sell because most people dont have a lot of cash right now.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to decide whether you care about whether or not it is an original factory wide body. My 911 pictured in my Avatar started out as a white Targa. It is now a black turbo-look cabriolet as you can see. The work performed on the car was extremely high quality using only original Porsche parts. Aside from the option sticker not saying M491 turbo-look option, you would not be able to tell the difference. I paid a lot more than $13.5k for mine, so if it is an M491 factory wide-body, then an amazing deal. If it's an aftermarket conversion and done well for $13.5k, then amazing deal.

BTW, my conversion also included 930 turbo brakes, wheels and suspension.

Quick Reply: '84 911 w/ 203K miles......