Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help: Where does this part go and how is it secured?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help: Where does this part go and how is it secured?

I finally got my 89 911 Cab back from the body shop after 3 months! Lesson: never get too close behind a Japanese tourist who doesn't know how to drive - because chances are that he is going to back into you! But that's another story. I picked up the car after dark so there may be other issues but these two were obvious.

Problem 1: First, when I turn on the running lights (yellow side lights) the light that typically flashes for right turns (pass sid) is also on (not flashing). It still blinks when you activate it. Driver side works fine. Only running light comes on, etc. Any ideas if this is normal or what is crossed. The lights are plug and play so I am not sure what is going on. I never really checked this before so I don't know what is right or wrong. Ideas?

Problem 2: Something was rattling up front and when I checked I found what I suspect is the windshield washer pump just sitting loose under the trunk carpet! I have no idea where it actually goes and how it is secured. It has rubber nipples on the back so I am sure it is fastened somewhere. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default If its like my 83SC...it sits in a vertical position

against the front behind the bumper right next to the battery. It sits low with the hose attachment facing towards the rear of the car and the bottom. The plate connects to the back of the bumper/front of the trunk. I don't know if that helps any...maybe others have diagrams.
abe
Old 11-01-2008, 12:34 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That gives me something to look for in the morning. If you turn on your running lights do both orange lights on the passenger side light up or just the orange light one facing forward (not the orange light on the side of the bumper)
Old 11-01-2008, 12:47 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

If you turn own your running lights all the orange/yellow lights in front and side passenger and drivers side come on. If you turn your blinker on only the ones facing forward blink. If you are near thousand oaks send me a pm I'll show you the washer pump.
abe
Old 11-01-2008, 04:54 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Thanks Abe. I am in West Los Angeles. I will check it out tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I already ordered the rubber feet for the pump as it looks like the shop broke them off when removing the pump for what ever reason.

It's good to know that all the orange lights should come on (ones facing forward and to the side). That probably means that on the driver's side the bulb for the running lights (on the side light assembly) must be out as both bulbs come on - on the passenger side. It would have been much harder to trouble shoot if it was the other way around (having an extra light come on.) Thanks for everyone's help. Keep posting suggestions if anyone has any additional thoughts. Andrew
Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 PM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

I checked this morning. There is only one nipple to worry about and the other two lower rubber ones act as bumpers against the body wall. Also, anyone know what goes in the hole next to the pump - is there a rubber plug or something? I took a picture - it is basically located on the front inner wall of the trunk across from the battery. The washer pump is installed next to it as there is a smaller hole (you can see some of the faint white water stain from some fuild loss over the years). TIA
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

I am not too sure of your orientation...but in my car there is a rubber grommet with 2 wires going through.
abe
Old 11-02-2008, 01:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

could the hole be for fog wires ?

Quick Reply: Help: Where does this part go and how is it secured?