Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Desperately Needing Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the price range you're talking about, you can get a much lower mileage example (around 60-70k miles) in excellent condition. In the long run the car will maintain its value better, and it will give you less headaches. Make sure everything checks out and the car is gone over thoroughly by an experienced mechanic of YOUR CHOOSING. Don't go to the shop the owner recommends, and don't buy sight unseen. Ebay especially can be very iffy, so be careful! If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Ask me how I know

Last edited by pcar964; 10-28-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Jaws911
Pro

I'm very, very, far from an expert - just been reading this board since I bought mine - & wish I had before I did. I think for 18.5 you can find one w/o a major issue such as valve guides ( & it is major issue). From what i understand, any competent PPI will look for & be able to discover a valve guide issue in 87-89 cars - so make sure you have that done. IMO, tho, finding a perfect car is not critical , and in 20+ year old vehicles , there may always be some minor issues - don't let that stop you.

& if the economy keeps on gong the way it has, you maybe able to by two at that price.

Anyway, I predict that you will find & buy one, it will be a great car, you will be ecstatic over your purchase, you will not care near as much what you might sell it for as you do now, and you will post here after your 1st PCA DE to tell us how great it was.

PS - I have a 915, and am very happy with it, but each to his own...
Old 10-28-2008, 11:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

leakdown test a must to check for valve guide wear , oil consumption data will also help but PO will lie anyway .
i have a 915 , no issues, but you have to learn how to use it , and don't lend out your ride unless it is another 915 owner.
cars are a blast to work on and drive , although drivers ed not for everyone, do what you are comfortable with.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
einreb92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insight and the benefit of all the collective experience. Peter: I have to say that your car is very enticing, but I am drawn to the G-50 transmission as it takes less of a toll on my left leg recently hurt in a motorcycle accident. But I appreciate your offer!!!!

Brett: You are right. I misspoke. He told me there was valve guide wear and he told me about the blue smoke you described. I don't know how he came to know about this (maybe from a PPI or from a maintenance check). At any rate, I think you all are telling me not to pull the trigger on this car because of what it eventually will need. I did read that many of these cars experience wear in this area. I guess I'll have to ad that to the list of things to ask a seller.

It also seems that most of you are biased towards the 86-89 cars. Should I rule out the others? I understand the difference others are describing about the "feel of the road" experience with the 80s cars and what came later. How about the 1990 911? Is there much difference between that one and the 80s? I think I read they have power steering but the body style isn't greatly changed.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by einreb92
Thanks all for the encouragement! And Justin you sure have a beautiful P-car. I have to pass up the offer (unfortunately) 1. because of the distance...it would be expensive to get it here; 2. because I really am partial to the G-50 tranny.
No problem at all. I can understand that you are looking for something specific. Good luck in your search. These cars are amazing in so many ways and you are really going to enjoy the search as well as the purchase. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by einreb92
Brett: You are right. I misspoke. He told me there was valve guide wear and he told me about the blue smoke you described. I don't know how he came to know about this (maybe from a PPI or from a maintenance check). At any rate, I think you all are telling me not to pull the trigger on this car because of what it eventually will need. I did read that many of these cars experience wear in this area. I guess I'll have to ad that to the list of things to ask a seller.
I never say never. Every car has its price. This one should clearly factor in the necessary top end rebuild. If the seller doesn't want to negotiate to a price that you feel is appropriate, then definitely don't buy it. But, it depends on you and your own "issues." Perhaps after a few more months of hard looking and striking out and a building longing for that dream 911, you'll reconsider this car... and perhaps the owner will reconsider his price if it hasn't sold... If everything else is right about this car except this one issue, keep it on your list for sure. Give the owner your contact info tell him to call you if anything changes. Start a top end rebuild fund now (you may need it anyway for any 3.2 Carrera that you buy).

Good luck,
Brett

Quick Reply: Desperately Needing Help!