Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much is an 85 cab worth in parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM
2qwik4u
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How much is an 85 cab worth in parts?

I have an opportunity to buy a 85 cab for very cheap, possibly 5k or so.
2 options, buy it and fix it up or buy it and part it out. What would you say car is worth in parts assuming engine and trans are good?

thanks, leo
Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 PM
obersturm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Leo,

I am always amazed how cheap you can buy Porsche vere there. Over here I would not hesitate to buy it regardless of its condition.
I am told most Porsches don't make for good "fixer uppers" as parts can be very expensive, if you can't get them used.

But with that low a basis to start with, it might work out ok?

I would check what the price range for your make and model is at the moment. Make a list of all the thinks that need refurbishment/changing. See what them parts cost. Add them all up + what you think your labour is worth: et vola'.....

I think you should be able to recoup US$ 5000 if it runs and shifts ok in case you decide to wreck it.

Just my 2 cents

Martin
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The motor alone is @ $6k.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Ya, don't forget to factor in time and hassle. You need the time to strip it, part it out, advertise it all, spend time corresponding with people, packaging, shipping, dealing with retarded people, parts don't sell instantly, a place to strip it and keep all the parts (I don't know if you are married or not)...etc.

Consider that as well...although a 85 for 5K is very tempting.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rust/body damage? Title? Does it run/how well?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

leo,
honestly, I think you definitely have to have 2 things: 1- space for a car to sit on for a long time. 2- you are single and can get dirty anytime.
As for $$. I see engine and tranny selling here for $6k or close all the time. The rest of the car is your profit.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

unfortunately the engine and Tranny must work well I belive to garner that 6 K , and all the stuff after that does not bring as much money and has a much higher hassle factor ( See old mans post )
Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll buy the cabrio tonneau cover case if its black and real leather - you can start figuring $ from there!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

I've stripped and sold two 944's in the past. and also a big V12 jag Pillarless coupe. Here's my experience of doing this:

It will take 2 people who know which end of a spanner is which, under 2 days to completely strip a car to it's bare frame. You then either get the frame weighed in for scrap, or even better, already have a guaranteed buyer turn up the day after you've stripped it, and take it away. If you do it this way, you could probably get away with doing it on your drive without upsetting the neighbors too much. (you still need somewhere to store all the parts though)

It will then take another 4 full days (at least) to break down any components you removed from the car as a whole (like suspension, hubs and brakes), give the parts a light cleanup, photograph them from lots of angles, and then box them up. (boxing may seem like jumping the gun, but it's definitely worth doing it all in one hit)

Now you have all the boxes labeled with their contents, get a set of scales and weigh everything, then go on the post office website and calculate the postage for everything.

Now you're ready to list everything online for sale. Once that's done, most of the hard work is over, you just wait for the money to come in and make a weekly trip to the post office to drop off what's sold.

All in all, it probably takes about 8 - 10 days of work on your part, to complete this process, but you can make some good money, and you also learn about the car you're stripping.

best of luck

Quick Reply: How much is an 85 cab worth in parts?