Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 vs. 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AS I currently run both models you may be interested in my thoughts (or not, maybe?)

Without a doubt the performance of the 993 is exceptional compared with the earlier car and a lot more civilised for modern day driving. The styling at first site looks great but - be aware that those PUs front and back are vulnerable to damage unlike the older car with REAL metal and rubber over-riders. The two front quarter panels which fold underneath the front are also vulnerable - if you hit thwem then its a replacement.

The heat shields on the 993 engine are paper thin and rot (depends on climate I agree) as do the rear PU stays - changing the heat shields can be done in situ but be prepared to loose plenty of knuckle skin!

EVERYTHING on the 993 costs more - rotors, pads, oil filter (2 on the 993 don't forget - and the one under the rear wheel arch is a pig to remove), plus 12 plugs don't forget!! And don't forget that famous four-wheel tracking that needs doing regularly.

If you can't work on these babies yourself it WILL cost you a great deal of money to maintain compared with the older car - also of course the older car is a DIY proposition. Take my word for it the 993 will suck you bank balance compared with the older car.

I could go on - I love them both but I know which one loves my cheque book!

PJC
Old 10-30-2008, 09:59 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Tru Speed- he's got 3 G50 Targas, one black.

Yes, his prices tend to be high, but-as with most dealers- those are his asking prices, not necessarily what he'll take.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/vas..._stock_no=1669

Here's the black one. Happy Hunting!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:48 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

PJC presented a good synopsis of both series; I have a early 911 and had a 89 Carrera Cab. my Brother has a 1996 993 C4S, and my Son has a 02 996. I've driven both cars and have driven the 993 some distant. I was strongly leaning towards a 993 myself, preferrably 97 or 98 even though 96 was the first year for the vario ram. I changed my mind due to everything listed below, also my Brother had a warranty issue with the wiring harness which the factory cover. It was my understanding that some people were not as fortunate. I also read in Panorama where the 993 can be somewhat expensive in reference to repairs and maintenance. The 996, I would have a concern about the RMS issue unless that problem had already been resolved. the 993 is a great car, and the 996 is not a bad car, but the earlier Carrera's or even early 911, as spartan as they may be, are great cars and fun to drive, without the maintenance cost of the 993 & 996.

Originally Posted by pjc
AS I currently run both models you may be interested in my thoughts (or not, maybe?)

Without a doubt the performance of the 993 is exceptional compared with the earlier car and a lot more civilised for modern day driving. The styling at first site looks great but - be aware that those PUs front and back are vulnerable to damage unlike the older car with REAL metal and rubber over-riders. The two front quarter panels which fold underneath the front are also vulnerable - if you hit thwem then its a replacement.

The heat shields on the 993 engine are paper thin and rot (depends on climate I agree) as do the rear PU stays - changing the heat shields can be done in situ but be prepared to loose plenty of knuckle skin!

EVERYTHING on the 993 costs more - rotors, pads, oil filter (2 on the 993 don't forget - and the one under the rear wheel arch is a pig to remove), plus 12 plugs don't forget!! And don't forget that famous four-wheel tracking that needs doing regularly.

If you can't work on these babies yourself it WILL cost you a great deal of money to maintain compared with the older car - also of course the older car is a DIY proposition. Take my word for it the 993 will suck you bank balance compared with the older car.

PJC

Last edited by wpriller; 10-30-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by pjc

PJC
Originally Posted by wpriller
PJC presented a good synopsis of both series; I have a early 911 and had a 89 Carrera Cab. my Brother has a 1996 993 C4S, and my Son has a 02 996. I've driven both cars and have driven the 993 some distant. I was strongly leaning towards a 993 myself, preferrably 97 or 98 even though 96 was the first year for the vario ram. I changed my mind due to everything listed below, also my Brother had a warranty issue with the wiring harness which the factory cover. It was my understanding that some people weren't not as fortunate. I also read in Panorama where the 993 can be somewhat expensive in reference to repairs and maintenance. The 996, I would have a concern about the RMS issue unless that problem had already been resolved. the 993 is a great car, and the 996 is not a bad car, but the earlier Carrera's or even early 911, as spartain as they maybe, are great cars and fun to drive, without the maintenance cost of the 993 & 996.
Excellent points which also reinforce why I'm going with the 911, better reliability, easier to DIY, lower maintenance costs. My P mechanic showed me a 993 they just did a top end for....$10,000!!! Yikes. I nearly peed in my pants! That's a substantial portion of the cost of the damn car!

Thanks, DL for those leads. I've seen Tru before and they're prices are too high even to start. Hopefully a fair priced clean 911 private party P shows up.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holy911
My P mechanic showed me a 993 they just did a top end for....$10,000!!! Yikes. I nearly peed in my pants! That's a substantial portion of the cost of the damn car!
That sort of number isn't uncommon for the 911...regardless of which model year.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nine11
That sort of number isn't uncommon for the 911...regardless of which model year.
My mechanic said a top and bottom end job for a Carrera is about $16k for both. Much less than the 993. Still, either way you look at it, these are expensive cars to upkeep. Oh well, live once.

Oh yeah, and $600 for a set of spark plug wires on the 993. What the??!!! I'm used to working on Toyotas and Subarus. I'm in for a ride!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

My mechanic said a top and bottom end job for a Carrera is about $16k for both. Much less than the 993. Still, either way you look at it, these are expensive cars to upkeep. Oh well, live once.

Oh yeah, and $600 for a set of spark plug wires on the 993. What the??!!! I'm used to working on Toyotas and Subarus. I'm in for a ride!
It's worth every penny.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OEM wires for the '84-'89 Carreras are $645 at Pelican. That's a set of 6. So $600 for a 12-wire set for the 993 is a bargain.

There are several good choices for plug wires that are far cheaper than either of the above. Magnecor, for instance.

$16k for a full rebuild on a 3.2? If it includes serious mods, maybe. If bone stock, that's a ridiculous price. You might want to get your advice somewhere else!
Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
OEM wires for the '84-'89 Carreras are $645 at Pelican. That's a set of 6. So $600 for a 12-wire set for the 993 is a bargain.

There are several good choices for plug wires that are far cheaper than either of the above. Magnecor, for instance.

$16k for a full rebuild on a 3.2? If it includes serious mods, maybe. If bone stock, that's a ridiculous price. You might want to get your advice somewhere else!
That was for both top and bottom end, no mods. Is this still high?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will love the 3.2 - it's fun to drive, seat of the pants involvement and oh the orchestra from the last of the great flat 6 engines stretching back to 1963. The 964 and 993 engines are completely different and even the factory recognised they required 'extras' to give the right sound.

Have fun, I do every time I climb into mine - oh the 993? That's great too, but in a different way and does more miles per year.

PJC
Old 10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

The first thing you need to do is test drive both cars. That may end up making your decision for you.

With the way the 911 is set up you will not even be able to tell it does not have power steering. My BMW 320i does not have power steering and the 911 is completely different with how much easier it is. Even standing still, you will only need one hand and no straining. With the steering wheel unlocked and the car sitting on the ground, I can grab the front and the back of one of the tires and I can move the steering. With the weight of the engine behind the rear wheels, it actually takes a lot of weight off of the front wheels. Similar to the way a see-saw works.

I would also recommend you drive a non-G50 SC or Carrera. You may not narrow yourself so much after. I use to be like you but after actually driving the cars, the G50 was not an issue anymore.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
The first thing you need to do is test drive both cars. That may end up making your decision for you.

With the way the 911 is set up you will not even be able to tell it does not have power steering. My BMW 320i does not have power steering and the 911 is completely different with how much easier it is. Even standing still, you will only need one hand and no straining. With the steering wheel unlocked and the car sitting on the ground, I can grab the front and the back of one of the tires and I can move the steering. With the weight of the engine behind the rear wheels, it actually takes a lot of weight off of the front wheels. Similar to the way a see-saw works.

I would also recommend you drive a non-G50 SC or Carrera. You may not narrow yourself so much after. I use to be like you but after actually driving the cars, the G50 was not an issue anymore.
Thanks. I have driven both. Yes, I agree the steering does feel pretty light and nimble. I'm going for a G50 only car since those do last longer and the 915 is not very smooth, esp. 2nd to 1st downshifting.

So, 911 G50 it is for me. Now if I can only find one....targa, blk or dark blue, >100k miles. Anyone?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:37 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Boxster? I never considered those since they just dont do it for me. I'd rather get my first idea of the 911 over those.

What's "WAO"?
wide *** open

Last edited by smshirk; 10-31-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 911 vs. 993