PPI This One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:02 PM
holy911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI This One?

1988 Targa, 50k miles, blk.

Pics sent from seller including undercarriage look good. My P mechanic says they look good also. Of course, pics only tell so much of the story.

Spoke with PO who had prior it to this seller and had nothing but praise for the car. Confirmed no accidents, a minor leak from somewhere in the engine, a few mods, nothing major. States PO to him stored car for several years.

PO feels a full PPI is not necessary since he knows the car. He says it drove strong and he took excellent care of the car.

My feeling is I'd like a full PPI still. Even owners of their own cars sometimes don't know what's the true condition of what's unseen, like the engine and chassis. At least a leak down test and compression test should be done regardless of what PO says....for my peace of mind.

I could probably do much of the PPI myself (may have to since there's a lack of good shops within driving distance of the car). Maybe I'll even do the compression and leak down tests myself. But I know nothing of P cars and have only moderate mechanical ability.

What do you gentlemen think? Full PPI or leak down and compression test only or maybe even head bolt check? Or at 50k miles and the word of the PO, not necessary?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:09 PM
lfe132
Racer

Simply put, get the PPI. Don't go on the PO's word. If the compression test is all good and the cyclinders are pretty evenly matched as far as compression values I might skip the leak down test although some may disagree.
Spend the money on a PPI, you'll sleep better at night.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Steely
Instructor

Yeah, get the PPI - you'll have no regrets that way.
If you do the PPI yourself, it'll be your word against the PO, even realizing you're both probably gentlemen, since a 3rd party'd be better if you determine that there are issues which may lead to a (re-) negotiated price.

That said, I don't think a bolt check is as much an issue with '88's as it is with earlier MY's, but I'd still recommend following Pete Z's recommendations in his book.

Best of luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steely
Yeah, get the PPI - you'll have no regrets that way.
If you do the PPI yourself, it'll be your word against the PO, even realizing you're both probably gentlemen, since a 3rd party'd be better if you determine that there are issues which may lead to a (re-) negotiated price.

That said, I don't think a bolt check is as much an issue with '88's as it is with earlier MY's, but I'd still recommend following Pete Z's recommendations in his book.

Best of luck!
Yeah, I'm really for the full PPI. Only trouble is, where this car is located, I don't think there's a realiable P shop nearby or within reasonable driving distance. I agree, it should be done by a partial 3rd party and a real professional P mechanic, but I might not have a choice here.

I was wondering if the head bolt check applied to '88s. Pete didn't specify what years that was for, unless I read wrong.

Pete, can you cue in?
Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Simple,,,,, is it a 25k car? if so then get the PPI. If you're going to steal it for 16k then you can pass on the full boat PPI
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Dude, don't ever buy a 20 year old Porsche (or any Porsche, for that matter) without a PPI by someone that knows what they are doing. I would't care what the PO says, or what the price is. Now, if someone was going to give you one, you might skip it. It's cheap insurance. A PPI is the difference between your Porsche experience being everything you expected and want it to be (Joy!), versus a mechanical and financial nightmare that will leave you bitter and jaded. JMHO, YMMV, etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Why don't you say where the car is and maybe someone will know of a place to have the PPI done.

Quick Reply: PPI This One?