Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

LSD INSTALL QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default LSD INSTALL QUESTION

Bought a used factory lsd for my 88 Carrera and there seems to be nowhere to hook up the speedometer ? I believe it came out of a 993 . Did 993's have a different Speedometer hookup ? Is there any workaround for this with my older carrera ? Drilling some holes ? thanks for any input.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

993's received speedo information from ABS wheel Speed Sensors so the differential didn't have the magnetic triggering ring.

I've not done this one so you may need to see if your MTR can be fitted to the 993 LSD.

FWIW, the 993 LSD's were a 2-plate design and not anywhere as robust as the early 4-plate style found in older G50's. For that reason, all we use are Guard LSD's.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:30 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
993's received speedo information from ABS wheel Speed Sensors so the differential didn't have the magnetic triggering ring.

I've not done this one so you may need to see if your MTR can be fitted to the 993 LSD.

FWIW, the 993 LSD's were a 2-plate design and not anywhere as robust as the early 4-plate style found in older G50's. For that reason, all we use are Guard LSD's.
Do you think it would hurt anything to drill a couple holes to try to fit the speedo ? Any other work around ?
Old 10-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't bother for a race car unless you need data aquistion,...........
You can calculate speeds in each gear and post a chart on the dashboard if you are curious about speed.

If you intend to install and use DA, you really need the proper LSD for your transmission to ensure accurate speed information.

Quick Reply: LSD INSTALL QUESTION