Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CIS to MFI conversion -- cost, sense, results?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:09 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Post CIS to MFI conversion -- cost, sense, results?

So imagine someone ("this friend 'o mine") has a 2.4 CIS but thinks it would be appropriate to revert to MFI to match the car. What does it cost? Is it sensible? Is it worthwhile in terms of performance or non-measureable effect? Would this be the time to go to 2.7 or 2.8 or ?

... just thinking out loud ... advice?

Is there a reputable shop for doing 2.4 to 2.7 MFI conversions anywhere with 300 miles of the SF Bay Area?
Old 05-07-2003, 12:19 AM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be pretty $pendy, but could it be done? Sure. In terms of performance, you'd enjoy quicker throttle response, but all other thing equal, not much power gain. There should be many shops in the SF area able to convert a 2.4 to a 2.7...case needs to be machined, then the bigger bore P&C's installed..
Old 05-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Jim Richards
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
C-GT, I think you'll have to change your induction system, fuel pump, cams, pistons, etc. Since I'm no expert, look for others to confirm / deny what I've told you. I think MFI is great and would love to do a 2.7L RS motor, if I had the $$$.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mechanical fuel injection should never be dimissed as a viable option. The factory used mechanical for every one of their racing vehicles until the introduction of Motronic in the 962. Mechanical, in the factory's eyes, was the best way to make high hp out of normally aspirated motors. Don't forget that BMW also believed in mechanical and used it successfully in the M1. And when motronic was introduced for use in the 962, it wasn't the same old motronic. It was a highly modified version of it. And even in that situation, Motronic could be used succesfully since the 962 was turbocharged and did not need the wild cams that a high hp normally aspirated plant needs. As far as the 911, the last use of mechanical was in the 911SCRS and maybe even the early Paris Dakar Porsches. It probably would have also been used throughout the eighties if Porsche had actually produced a turnkey racer then. But Porsche did not produce any turnkey 911 racers until the introduction of the 964 RSR 3.8. Unless one counts the 930 Group B. I personally like mechanical and find it performs very well once set up properly. As far as cams, it isn't so much the need for them, but more the capability of running big cams. Mechanical allows you to do that. You might want to contact Pacific Fuel Injection in Huntington Beach at 714-897-6804 or H&R Fuel Injection in NY at 516-589-1600. I know Pacific has been doing mechanical for ages now. See what those guys can tell you.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Bighi
Mechanical fuel injection should never be dimissed as a viable option. The factory used mechanical for every one of their racing vehicles until the introduction of Motronic in the 962. Mechanical, in the factory's eyes, was the best way to make high hp out of normally aspirated motors. Don't forget that BMW also believed in mechanical and used it successfully in the M1. And when motronic was introduced for use in the 962, it wasn't the same old motronic. It was a highly modified version of it. And even in that situation, Motronic could be used succesfully since the 962 was turbocharged and did not need the wild cams that a high hp normally aspirated plant needs. As far as the 911, the last use of mechanical was in the 911SCRS and maybe even the early Paris Dakar Porsches. It probably would have also been used throughout the eighties if Porsche had actually produced a turnkey racer then. But Porsche did not produce any turnkey 911 racers until the introduction of the 964 RSR 3.8. Unless one counts the 930 Group B. I personally like mechanical and find it performs very well once set up properly. As far as cams, it isn't so much the need for them, but more the capability of running big cams. Mechanical allows you to do that. You might want to contact Pacific Fuel Injection in Huntington Beach at 714-897-6804 or H&R Fuel Injection in NY at 516-589-1600. I know Pacific has been doing mechanical for ages now. See what those guys can tell you.
Thanks for the advice and contacts.

I like to revisit my own threads every five years or so. : )

ps. Shopping for a great '72 911 if anyone knows of a good example.

Quick Reply: CIS to MFI conversion -- cost, sense, results?