Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Winter Storage - Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Storage - Parking Brake

I am in the process of preparing my 1989 911 and 1995 993 for storage. Unfortunately, for drainage purposes my garage has enough grade that the cars will roll, unless in gear or the parking brake is engaged. I typically put them in reverse to stop this problem, but I do worry that one of them might pop out of gear and start to leave the garage. I would like to use the parking brake as a backup, but have heard it is not good to leave it engaged for a prolonged period? Is that true? Is it possible for the car to pop out of gear during storage? If there is a risk any other recommendations to address this issue? What about bricks blocking the tires? Answers and suggestions appreciated. I am also posting this on the 911 forum. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

wheel chocks problem solved
Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Yup, cheap simple wheel chocks. They are also necessary whenever working on your car (jacking the front end)
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how in the world a car can "pop out of gear" on its own. While you're driving, possibly. Not while it's sitting motionless in the garage.

It's not going to harm the parking brake one bit to keep it on for long periods. However, you don't have to make it very tight. Just tight enough to keep it from rolling slowly in the garage. That's barely touching.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

do NOT leave the parking brake on over the winter. Ven just the natural humidity in the air can make it bond, depending of course on where you live and the climate conditions.
Just jamb a couple pieces of woood behind the wheels for peace of mind if you like
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Concur with ice,--leave it off. Block the wheels before you resort to using the parking brake for that length of time. They will seize up.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information. I will keep the cars in reverse, block the wheels and release the parking brakes.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheel chock can simply be a short 2x4 laying on the floor in front/behind of whichever set of wheels you like, as long as they are on the down hill side of the tires. Also, depending on which way the car is pointed, I would have it in the opposite direction gear, ie: If the front is pointing downhill, I would have it in Reverse, if rear is pointing downhill, I would have it in First Gear.
I presume that is what you will be doing. I have seen people that just use wheel/tire chocks on both ends, the handbrake "Off" and the transmission in neutral. I guess that there is many ways of securing a vehicle parked for extended periods on an off-level slab or ground.
While I have never seen a 911 that the handbrake got stuck after storing, I guess that it is possible for it to happen every once in awhile. Good luck!! Tony.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Preparing for storage so soon? bummer.. falls a great time to be out enjoying them instead of storing them. That said, x4 or more with the "no handbrake" approach.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,099 Likes on 784 Posts

yeah end of october for me too, after that it is just to cold to get any heat in the tires and it makes for un uncomfortable ride as well as a dicey one.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 112344
I will keep the cars in reverse, block the wheels and release the parking brakes.
I would not recommend putting the car in gear to hold the car. Holding the car in gear can stress components. I would just block the wheels well with the hand brake off and the car in neutral.

If you feel you need to leave the car in gear, park the car with the hand brake on. Then chock the wheels very well. Release the hand brake and insure that the wheel chocks are holding the car in place. Then engage the transmission. The wheel chocks will do all the work and the transmission will act as a safety in case the wheel blocks come loose.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would put the car on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting. However, this makes it difficult to move in a hurry if you must. Don't forget gas stable fluid and make sure the tank is full, and the battery is on a trickle charger..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jay's procedure is spot on. Car will not move, no load on tranny or ebrake. I know of 2 cases of 911 ebrake failure (separation of shoes w/ related damage when driven) wherein the cars were low mi examples that had been stored for lengthy periods over the years - suspected w/ the ebrake engaged hard. No question that ebrakes were not designed as long-duration car stops (what's the e stand for?). If I had a steep surface where I stored my car for a lengthy period yr-after-yr, I'd consider installing a tie-down system in the floor for added safety.

I know of 2 recent cases of battery explosion or charger failure... one a stored 911 wherein a flat batt was recharged & when started, it "blowed right up" - very messy. The other was an Alfa Spider wherein batt charging failed while unattended overnight - car burned & totaled, almost took out a nearby GTV6 (in top condition) & the warehouse with it. So, lesson learned for me was; pay careful attention to age & condition of old batteries that go flat, do not leave a facility unattended while charging a car, consider removing batts for charging (pia, yes, for the 911), esp over long periods, don't scrimp on chargers, & maybe batts just ain't what they used to be.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage - Parking Brake