Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

76 911 S stalls

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 10:46 PM
APD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 76 911 S stalls

76 911S CIS Fuel injection 2.7 After replacing the fuel distributer and setting the CO adjustment, the car still stalls uncontrollably at idle. After stalling, will not start back up for at least a half hour. If it does start before then, will not stay running even with the revs up. CD unit is relatively new, intake and fuel distibution seem fine. The problem may be with ignition. Fuel pump relay checked and is fine. If you can help please respond.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:14 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Silly question but is a "pop-off" valve fitted in the airbox? If it has and it's been disturbed it could be leaking air and gives the symptoms you state.

Bit of a shot in the dark but no-one else seems to be helping out here.

PJC
Old 05-09-2003, 12:02 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Hi APD,

If pjc's advice doesn't work out, while the car is running - can you spray some carb cleaner around the intake manifold where the runners meet the heads. Sounds like as the CS system warms up, and reduces the fuel, that un-metered air is getting in - causing a lean condition....

HTH
Old 05-09-2003, 02:16 PM
TerryBPP
Track Day

Check the plug right behind the fuel dist. Its teal in color. I think it the cold start valve. Mine unplugged when I replaced my oil press switch. Took a while for me to figure it out.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did this stalling happen before you did the work........Ron
Old 05-14-2003, 01:45 PM
APD
6th Gear

Thank you for responding. About 8 months ago I brought the car in for a clutch replacement. After putting the engine back in, my mechanic refitted the distributer vacuum line which had not been connected since I'd owned the car. The car no longer ran well, so the ignition timing was adjusted. The next problem was with the spark, which was fixed by buying new ignition wires. I also replaced the rotor and cap of the distributer. I'm not sure when my current problem began, but the next step was to adjust the mixture with the fuel distributer. This worked well for a while but it seemed to go out of adjustment within a few weeks. I replaced the Fuel distributer but continue to have the same problem.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:40 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
then a CIS fuel pressure check was done.. the gauge kit is about $60-$100.. I do believe that you have to check all you fuel pressures.. the WUR is critial.. the AAR can cause similar problems. maybe try to gently lift the sensor plate at idle and see if this helps.. but the ignition system.. a weak ignition coil will damage the CD box..when you replaced the CD did you also replace the coil?.. is the power to the CD ok? maybe trying a direct feed to the CD. did you check that the dizzy advance operates, maybe the weights are stuck. and the dizzy has a ground connection that become bad. the air sensor plate must move freely, might be dirty.. you have to check the electrical connections to all the CIS parts. but you gotta check your fuel pressures with that kit.. who knows if your gas tank screen is clogged or not..
I don't get notified if there is any reply for some unknown reason.........Ron
Old 05-14-2003, 04:47 PM
upallnight
Intermediate

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TerryBPP:
<strong>Check the plug right behind the fuel dist. Its teal in color. I think it the cold start valve. Mine unplugged when I replaced my oil press switch. Took a while for me to figure it out.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">TEAL is not a color, it a lipstick.
Brown or black or even tan is a color.
I'm sure if you look at any automotive book you will not fine the color of the spark discribed as TEAL.

Quick Reply: 76 911 S stalls