Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1987 930 Turbo 115K - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:16 PM
narkose
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 930 Turbo 115K - what do you think?

I am currently looking at a 1987 930 Turbo that has been lovingly taken care of by it's owners and they are now considering sale for no mechanical reason.

Are there any specific problems that I should be especially concerned about with a car of this vintage with these miles. This would be my first 911.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Post this same question on the Turbo board. Good Luck, I'd check it out for sure....
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 AM
porsche4us

There are many things to look at when considering an older 911. It should be noted that the Turbo is a lot of car, perhaps too much car for a first 911. Have you thought about a well sorted SC or 3.2 Carrera? If you are set on this car a PPI or pre purchase inspection is your best tool. It will reveal what condition the car is in and what work may be needed. I suggest you pick up "The Used 911 Story" by Peter Zimmerman. It will help you gain knowledge about these older cars and what to look for.

That being said, with that kind of mileage I would want to know the car's full service history. Where was it serviced? What kind of maintenance has been done? Are there any oil leaks? What is the oil consumption like? Many of these cars were in the hands of individuals who may not have had all the skills to handle them. As a result, many ended up totaled in accidents. You will want to ensure that the car is close to original as possible and that no major body work has been done.

Take time to look at a few. Don't choose the first one. It's a buyer's market so don't panic. When you find the one you like best, the PPI will help you make sure it's the one. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM
racer
Drifting

Just the usual stuff.. Turbo, suspension, rubber parts - suspension and steering components in particular, general engine health, interior condition, paint condition.. Maintenance history.. Modifications etc. Be sure to have a PPI performed. If left unmolested, I imagine the 930 Turbo could be pretty reliable, especially for its performance. That said, a 996 has equal performance, plus a good heat/ac system, modern suspension, ABS etc.

Is the Turbo your dream car, or just a local one that has caught your interest? '87 is still a 4 speed, not that there is anything wrong with that

Quick Reply: 1987 930 Turbo 115K - what do you think?