Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bilstein will repair all shocks for $280 or can buy new for $430.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein will repair all shocks for $280 or can buy new for $430.

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php

$430 for new shocks or $280 to rebuild old shocks???

This post is sort of a service announcement to let others know about the rebuild service and partly to open discussion on the options.

I plan to do something about the original 178,000 mile Bilsteins on my 81 SC because it oscillates up and down on the highway and the steering wheel shakes during 80 mph turns.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Well, if the housings are in good shape, then a replacement of the inserts / cartridges etc. makes sense. If you have corrosion, etc., then I'd be looking at new housings with the new shocks option.

Perhaps you can look into custom valving if they're rebuilding them?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Bilstein Motorsports is a few miles away from my house. I have had shocks rebuilt and revalved there and they come back like new. One word of caution though, it often takes longer for them to do the work than the 2 weeks they quote you, so if you can't afford to have your car sitting on jackstands while you wait for parts you may just want to buy new ones...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I had Koni rebuild some NOS shocks for my Bimmer because they were defective and they came back repainted and working perfectly. Look what I found about the Bilstein shocks on Simon's SC site;

A performance option for the 1978 SC Targa was Bilstein gas shock absorbers, but when these were fitted they tended to accentuate the fact that the Targa had a fairly flexible bodyshell. The following year, in markets where the Bilsteins had been offered as part of a performance package on the Targa, they were replaced by the Boge struts that had been fitted to earlier models. The 1981 model SCs had slightly stiffened rear suspension with torsion bar size increasing from 23min to 24mm.

What does this mean about my 81 Targa with Bilsteins? I wonder if this is a good reason to not go with sports or anything stiffer on the suspension?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Houpty GT
A performance option for the 1978 SC Targa was Bilstein gas shock absorbers, but when these were fitted they tended to accentuate the fact that the Targa had a fairly flexible bodyshell. The following year, in markets where the Bilsteins had been offered as part of a performance package on the Targa, they were replaced by the Boge struts that had been fitted to earlier models. The 1981 model SCs had slightly stiffened rear suspension with torsion bar size increasing from 23min to 24mm.

What does this mean about my 81 Targa with Bilsteins? I wonder if this is a good reason to not go with sports or anything stiffer on the suspension?
I'm having my '84 switched back from Bilstein's to Boges as I type (along with new torsion bars and bushings). I'll update you on the findings when I get the car back tomorrow night... The roads in my area are extremely poor, so any additional compliance may help me keep my teeth from rattling out and the car from rattling apart...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I called Bilstein today and asked if there would was a difference between my original '81 bilsteins and a new pair of HD's and they said there should be no difference in valving. I also asked if there was a change made in the shocks, would they update them and the answer was yes.

Sounds like i am going with rebuilt units. $150 in my pocket to repair other stuff.

Quick Reply: Bilstein will repair all shocks for $280 or can buy new for $430.