Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Flat towing an '86

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:36 PM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flat towing an '86

Anyone here have first hand knowledge about flat towing, four wheels down? I'm considering doing a cross country trip pulling mine but I'm not sure if the trans is up for it. I know I used to see race p cars being towed but not sure what year or for what distance. Thanks in advance, Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bob,

Flat towing for short distances is fine, but I would never do that for a trip over 100 miles.

Race cars are trailered in one form or another,...
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve's advice is good, rent/buy a lightweight trailer designed for car hauling - preferably dual axle - and get all four off the ground. I've know people who have used the dolly system (two wheels up) but that's almost as expensive as a trailer.

Or, ship the car and drive your "tow car" without the extra load. Is your trip more important, or having your P-car at your next destination?

My wife took a summer job in South Bend, Indiana during the summer of '01. We needed two cars for the summer, and discovered that shipping one car (and driving the other) would be about a quarter of the rental cost of a car for almost three months. We shipped the '83 SC Targa, that we owned at the time, to a friend's house in SB, and picked it up there after arriving in our sedan. The trip/summer worked out great!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the problem w flat towing.

I just can not have a trailer.

If about 100 miles do the Dot R tires need to come off?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I hauled my 1981 Turbo to New England with a tow dolly. Never a problem. Pulled behind my VW Vanagon with custom hitch.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 AM
bob b
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is probably a bad idea and yes, it would be better with a trailer or tow dolley, but, can it be done? Will the transaxle oil itself?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I hauled my 1981 Turbo to New England with a tow dolly. Never a problem. Pulled behind my VW Vanagon with custom hitch.
There is a guy in the Metro NY PCA that takes his car to the track in the same fashion.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haul it *** end up (ie, on a dolly) and no problems... assuming you either disable the steering lock or tie the steering wheel in place to prevent movement. Towing with the rear wheels dragging will hurt the transmission (no lubrication). Disconnect halfshafts though, and it would be ok (although you would need to seal up/protect exposed openings, parts etc).

Short distance and you could get away with the rear down, intact, like steve said, <100 miles or so is all I would try.

The bigger challenge for a real "flat tow" is mounting a hitch/receiving unit to your car. I know the "RV" set loves to flat tow.. is that what you had in mind?

Quick Reply: Flat towing an '86