Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Check Out This Repair History

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 04:32 AM
holy911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Out This Repair History

1988 Targa, 66k miles. CA car. Three owners. Now at an independent dealer. 65k miles currently. I have not personally seen the car. The dealer sent me this history to check out.

Summary:
*61k miles: engine rebuild due to overheating problem (per report of the dealer). Repair facility is not a Porsche certified facility, engine was sublet out, don't know where.
*2 months prior had tranny rebuilt
*Axle replaced, assuming it was right side (due to clunking noise on hard right turns)
*10 months after engine rebuild, battery again replaced (was replaced with engine rebuild)
*This past Sept., all plugs (engine was missing-diagnosed with incorrect plugs), distributor cap and rotor, and #2 fuel injector were replaced by a different repair facility.

My concerns:

Why would the tranny need to be replaced with only 60k miles?
Why battery replaced after less than a year?
Incorrect spark plugs and bad fuel injector after engine rebuild?
Has the cause of the overheating been addressed?

Last edited by holy911; 10-05-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:50 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Default I would say

You ask some good questions-

I'm not an expert, but I would think your concerns are legit. There's simply too many cars available out there to consider one with that history- take your time. Sound to me like that car was really run hard- and improperly. Or it could have been wrecked or abused. JMHO- I would pass on that one.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The previous owner of my 82 Targa had the engine rebuilt at 65,000 miles.

He was having overheating problems due to a bad internal T-stat and while he was in there he noticed that the head studs were the gold colored divilar studs and decided to replace the studs, send the heads out to competition engineering for rebuild, new valve guides, valves, porting etc.

The Targa you are looking at probably had bad valve guides, non uncommon with the 3.2 Carreras around 60,000 miles.

Then proceeded with higher compression pistons, new clutch, SSI's, muffler etc...

Tranny could have had worn syncros and the owner probably did not shift correctly or had the wrong fluid. Was it a full transmission rebuild?

Axles & CV's were replaced on mine around 70k along with the front and rear wheel bearings.

If it looks clean, never hit and the price is right, see if you can find someone in the area to check it out.

Have you read Zimmermans book?

John
Old 10-05-2008, 01:01 PM
lfe132
Racer

In my opinion, Holly911, I'd stay away from that car. There are plenty of 911's out there with a more credible history.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

don't bet a bad pony
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Trans rebuilt, easy - synchros. Mine had 1st & 2nd issues at 50k miles when I bought it. I miled it to about 85k then had it rebuilt when the clutch went.

Bad battery's not a mystery on these cars... he drained it down to nuthin a few too many times.

Bottom line, they're being up-front & stuff's already been addressed. Does the car look / work good now? Does the PPI come back a-ok? If so, so what about the other stuff?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The 911SC engines held up better than that. It sounds like one to avoid. It's funny how the 3.2 engines seem to have lost some of the 911 engine formula...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM
holy911
Instructor

The dealer is asing $22k for this one.

Yeah, it would be a plus actually to have a rebuilt engine. But my concerns are:

Why soon after dumping $21k on a rebuilt tranny, engine, axle did the owner sell the car? Dump and run?!
With a repair shop putting on the wrong plugs, what else have they done wrong? I mean geez, any high schooler can look up the plugs online and pop in the recommended plugs. It's also not a Porsche certified facility, just a general shop that also happens to repair RVs. That doesn't sound good.

I'm leary of this one, it doesn't feel right. I'll probably pass unless he significantly drops the price.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aot of Porsche mechanics are real snots. They will change plugs if they don't like the brand. The car could be legit, and the owner could be sick to his stomach over spending so much cash in such a short time. It could be a great car. OTOH, it would have to run and drive as a Porsche should for me to want it, and you are already questioning it.

I tend to go for the cars with the golden aura, angelic choirs ringing in my ears, and a shaft of light hitting the car as I reach for the door handle. Know what I mean, Vern ?

BTW, for that kind of money you could have the pick of the litter, and a nice little weekend jaunt to pick it up, and a large stack of change. Have you driven it ?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
holy911
Instructor

No, I haven't driven or seen the car in person yet. Just playing Devil's Advocate on my search and being very cautious. I don't like that a non-Porsche shop did the tranny and rebuild. At least if it were Porsche shop, I wouldn't hesitate. Of course, it could have been done by a private owner/weekend mechanic, then there wouldn't be any records.

I also fall victim to the golden songs and birds singing when I see pictures of clean P cars, but you never know what lurks under the skirts of these girls, especially after 20+ years of us riding 'em high!

I guess the only way to know for sure if this one's okay, is to see it, drive it, have a PPI done.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pass
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM
jpyles
Instructor

You said the rebuild was a sublet out to another shop. Do you even know if the same engine was returned? It could have been swapped with another engine (one with the wrong plugs a bad injector, for example). This makes me want to walk away.

For $22K, find one that with repairs at a shop with a good reputation, and with a detailed history. It should not be too hard to find one.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM
holy911
Instructor

Just talked to the dealer about the repairs. His story:

PO turned car off immediately after it overheated on the freeway
PO then took to his usual shop, which happens to be regular auto and RV place.They said it needs rebuild engine and tranny. Dealer says PO may have been taken advantage of for work it may not have needed (although this is the POs usual shop).
Dealer then takes car to his "Porsche" guy, a general "German Cars" mechanic. This mechanic changes dist. cap, plugs, wires, replaces and adjusts speed sensors, and tunes it up.

Dealer also doesn't have pictures of the car because it's at the detail shop. How long I ask before I can get pictures? Week and 1/2. Why so long at the detail shop? Oh, they're busy.

This just doesn't feel right. A premature engine AND tranny rebuild, not a P mechanic, pharmed out engine rebuild, 1.5 weeks sitting at a detail shop. Excuses, excuses. Dealer is starting to sound like "a used car salesman" at this point, not a Porsche salesman.

Dealer now can sense I'm losing interest. "If you don't want it, I've got 3-4 other interested parties. You can call back later this week if I still have it. It's no problem if you don't want it"

I'm thinking. No thanks. Passing this boat, too much water for me.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Exactly, if it just doesn't feel right as you put it....walk. Plenty more cars around, right now it's a buyer's market.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Pass unless he drops the price by about 60%. As mentioned, an SC should've held up better than that.

Edgy: I don't agree with you at all about the 3.2.....they are pretty much bullet proof too. An overrev is the best way to find your way into a rebuild (how do I know), but same with an SC's 3.0. The only difference is the smaller rod bolt on the Carrera would probably stretch in addition to valve-piston clash which they'd all see. With the exception of a few with valve guides issues (waaayyy over dramatised), they can (and do) run a long, long time.

Quick Reply: Check Out This Repair History