Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

East Coast vs. West Coast Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008 | 03:14 AM
holy911
Instructor

Default East Coast vs. West Coast Cars?

I'm thinking of checking out a couple of 911s on the east coast. Being from California, I'm not sure of the conditions that wear down a car. Especially in NY, like salted roads, snow, potholes, humidity.

I know for sure I'll have to carefully check the chassis. I'm almost thinking fo' getta bou' it due to those conditions on a 20+ y/o car.

What about Florida? Humidity, moisture, rain, floods.

I've been looking high and low. It's seems there's more East Coast 911's than on the West Coast. And the WC ones are higher priced! What's up with that! Condition?
Old 10-03-2008 | 07:12 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Most of the folks in the salt belt don't drive their cars through the winter. So, you're looking at ones that sit 3-5 months at a time. If a car sits too long, seals dry out, oil leaks & other mechanical issues can occur. Roads are worse (?) in the climate-changing areas, so I'd imagine suspension issues would be more prevalent.

In sunnier climates, I think you'll find more warped dashes, dried out leather, split / faded interiors, and generally higher mileage, unless you're talking about a collector's car, which again typically sits.

Personally, I'd rather have a decent running driver, with good mechanical condition & history, with an intact body with a couple of cosmetic issues, than a perfect looking piece of art that I can't count on going for a drive in.
Old 10-04-2008 | 12:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by holy911
It's seems there's more East Coast 911's than on the West Coast.
I don't think that's true at all. I believe about 1/2 of PCNA's 911 sales were in SoCal over a chunk of years. Sure, they get redistributed about the US via resale, but I see a bunch of 911's on the road on a daily basis out here. And I'm talking the air-cooled variety. Lots of them.
Old 10-04-2008 | 03:07 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't think that's true at all. I believe about 1/2 of PCNA's 911 sales were in SoCal over a chunk of years. Sure, they get redistributed about the US via resale, but I see a bunch of 911's on the road on a daily basis out here. And I'm talking the air-cooled variety. Lots of them.
Yeah, that's what I would think too, that there'd be more out in sunny California. In my search, it seems there's more 911s that fit my description of what I'm looking for than in Cali. In fact, two that I'm eyeing are on the east coast. Shoot, might have to fly out.
Old 10-04-2008 | 06:50 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Great cars can be found everywhere and must be considered on an individual basis. I located mine 500 miles away (northern salt belt, but she never saw it), flew in, checked her out, and then drove her home .

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 10-04-2008 | 05:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Yeah, that's what I would think too, that there'd be more out in sunny California. In my search, it seems there's more 911s that fit my description of what I'm looking for than in Cali. In fact, two that I'm eyeing are on the east coast. Shoot, might have to fly out.
That's cuz we get to run the heck out of them 12 months a year-nobody wants to sell.
Old 10-04-2008 | 09:25 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Youve also got to consider the history of the car. My car was from florida and sat in a barn for 4 years here in NY before i got it. Before that is unknown but it could be from anywhere.
Old 10-04-2008 | 10:20 PM
TT Oversteer
Rennlist Member

The last two cars I bought were out of state cars.

I had one shipped from Texas. It cost me $1000 on an open car carrier and I was less than pleased with the result. Improperly secured to car carrier with minor damage to undertray and one small scratch on the exterior that wasn't there before shipping. Shipper was uncooperative in addressing these (minor to him) damage issues.

The other one was a full day's drive from home. Things went ok but that was due to luck only. Shortly after getting home the fuel filter clogged on the freeway rendering the car barely able to limp home.

One also has to factor in the airfare and value of your time spent looking at cars that are not local. The emotions can run high if you like the car and could cause you to minimize these costs.

Also, FYI, regarding CA smog: There is no limit to costs incurred by you, the owner, to repair the car if it fails to pass smog. This is unique to out of state cars brought in to CA.

In the future, unless what I am looking for is extremely rare, I will wait for the right car to appear locally.
Old 10-04-2008 | 10:33 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Bought my car in another country. Saw the ad, had it inspected, paid for it, flew down, drove it back, had a great time. Oh, and it's an east-ish coast car.
Old 10-04-2008 | 11:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ed is always right....

My car was purchased in OHIO and spent 18 1/2 years there until the original owner moved to SoCal and sold it to the broker I got her from. I looked and looked and looked at California cars and was sick of looking at cars that were all used up. I wouldn't go nuts and start booking trips all over the country to find a car. I just tend to agree that the California cars are not always in the best shape.
Old 10-04-2008 | 11:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by old man neri
Bought my car in another country. Saw the ad, had it inspected, paid for it, flew down, drove it back, had a great time. Oh, and it's an east-ish coast car.
Ya, but Matt, you saw the pictures of the chick that got to ride in it didn't you?

OFF TOPIC: OMG! NSFW! You should have seen the hot Asian chick my 16 year old daughter had me pick up tonight!!!!! Drop dead georgious!!!! She saw the 911 and said POR-SHAH. She'll be 16 in 2 days
Old 10-05-2008 | 01:42 AM
holy911
Instructor

douglas.
Yeah, i have to resist that urge to fly to the east side. There's 3 cars that fit exactly what i want and their prices are better than comparable cars here. damn. actually, one of them sold before i called. '89 targa with only 22k original miles, asking price...$22!!!!! damn, she's gone.

O.T. side note: We're talking 911s, not 911 if you're messing with underage minors. She's your daughter's friend dude! YIKES!
Old 10-05-2008 | 11:17 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

My Targa was originally from Long Island and then resided in VA.

No rust issues and the rubber seals were not dry rotted.

John
Old 10-05-2008 | 09:47 PM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
My Targa was originally from Long Island and then resided in VA.

No rust issues and the rubber seals were not dry rotted.

John
Was the underchassis included on the PPI or DIY?
Old 10-06-2008 | 09:17 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Was the underchassis included on the PPI or DIY?
I looked over the underside and chassis myself and it was clean.

No rust was found after removing the headligts, battery or lower rockers panels.

Durng the brake job last summer, I did not encounter any rusty bolts or fastners.

I also removed the the windshiled washer fluid container and lower A/C components and saved a few pounds removing the sand and there was no rust in those locations.

John

Quick Reply: East Coast vs. West Coast Cars?