Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1976 911s- beautiful 70's era color (brown) car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:12 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1976 911s- beautiful 70's era color (brown) car!

I don't know why I looked at this on ebay, but man- what a beautiful car! Rediculous insane price even given the condition, but a beautiful car nonetheless- the nicest 75-77 911s I've seen!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...mZ160286960600
Old 09-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Known as Cockney or Chocolate Brown. I ordered a car in January 1977 in that color (coupe). It's ridiculously priced being as the car is from the less popular 2.7 litre magnesium engine days. It's also a very stripped car. The only option that it appears to have is air conditioning (aftermarket). The Cookie-Cutters were not too popular when the 6x15 Fuchs were the way to go. Unfortunately, it's still a narrow body and these cars work out nicer with SC flairs on the rear. Deja vu!
Attached Images           
Old 09-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Known as Cockney or Chocolate Brown. I ordered a car in January 1977 in that color (coupe).
Dan, I assume these are pics of your car when it was new. Stunning! Perfect color combo! As an owner of a Bitter Chocolate over cashmere 911, I appreciate these colors quite a bit.

It's ridiculously priced being as the car is from the less popular 2.7 litre magnesium engine days. It's also a very stripped car. The only option that it appears to have is air conditioning (aftermarket). The Cookie-Cutters were not too popular when the 6x15 Fuchs were the way to go. Unfortunately, it's still a narrow body and these cars work out nicer with SC flairs on the rear. Deja vu!
It's priced very high, but it's really hard to find extremely nice 2.7 cars. Nice ones seem to be more rare than hen's teeth. This could be an $18k to $20k car to the right buyer...

I'll state that I really like the slab sided look to the 2.7 cars.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You're right,--photos are from 1977-78. All in Europe. The eBay car looks quite unmolested.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Jay H
Drifting

The eBay car looks quite unmolested.
...and priced as a person would expect from this seller...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jay H
It's priced very high, but it's really hard to find extremely nice 2.7 cars. Nice ones seem to be more rare than hen's teeth. This could be an $18k to $20k car to the right buyer...
As nice as the car is, I'll have to disagree on the logic of it being hard to find a nice example of what is most likely the worst (relative term) aircooled 911. I am not knocking the car- not to offend anyone who has one- but as nice as this car is I see the actual market value as closer to mid-teens. If it were a 73 or before, or a 911SC maybe it would be high teens to $20K actual sale price (not asking). It's also tough to find a mint 1978 924 4-speed, but even a mint condition example won't bring a lot of money, and $18-20K still "feels" like a lot of money for a 75-77 2.7, even in this condition.

This is all my opinion, and your're 100% right- to the right buyer they might be willing to pay what I feel is overmarket given the condition. For example, if you graduated college in 1977 and lusted after this car, or if a friend or parent had the same car and color, well there are reason to pay above market for such a beautiful car....
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

By they way, the owner must have repainted the front nose to touch up stone chips- it's amazing there are none!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

nice car , too much coin
Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

You would want a PPI with that one.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by andrew911
As nice as the car is, I'll have to disagree on the logic of it being hard to find a nice example of what is most likely the worst (relative term) aircooled 911. ... It's also tough to find a mint 1978 924 4-speed, but even a mint condition example won't bring a lot of money, and $18-20K still "feels" like a lot of money for a 75-77 2.7, even in this condition.
Andrew, I agree with your opinion. Here's my thinking on this...

Anyone looking to drive such a car like this would be foolish to do so since it's priced at a premium and any additional mileage and wear will really tank its value like a Wachovia stock on Monday. As a collectible, I don't think a person would do all that well in the long run on this car since mid model ('75 and '76) 2.7 liter Targa's in brown are not all that desireable and as Andrew says, just were not good 911's.

However, if a person wanted to concours a car, this might be a prime example for a low entry fee. A concours condition pre impact bumper car would be quite high in purchase price...most likely $40k for anything nice and probably much higher for true concours cars in today's market.

Find a good SC or 3.2 Carrera in concours condition (and I mean full concours, undercarriage and all) with low mileage and I bet you're gonna see pricing well above $20k for an SC and most likely more than $30k for a late G-50 car.

So, let's say I want to jump into concours and everything is $30k or more and my budget won't support that. Original cars with perfect paint, perfect interiors and clean undercarriages are REALLY hard to find (ask me how I know). Let's assume this car is one of those 1 in 10,000 911's that was babied it's whole life, garage kept and as new with fully original paint, carpets and fabrics. Even at $18k, this car can be justified if you wish to show it and be competitive. It's probably $10,000 to $20,000 cheaper than most any other 911 in similar condition. Who cares how bad the motor was designed or how slow it is when you concours a car. You're buying originality (depending on what class you wish to compete in) and having stuff intact, unmodified and free of point deduction wear and tear.

If this car is mint, it will take very few dollars other than the initial price to get the car competitive. It's all there and in great shape. Nothing to replace and cars are only original once. Just clean it and show it.

So, my point (which I'm beating to death) is that for a driver, this car is completely overpriced. But, for a show car, this might be a heck of a bargin. I have a concours only car, but when I was looking to buy a car to concours, I would have been all over this particular car due to it's (assumed) insane originality.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
You would want a PPI with that one.
Agreed. At this price point, you'd want a very knowledgeable Porsche body shop assess that paint for originality. If it's a repaint, the value would tank in my book.

I'd be curious to know how much life is left in this motor...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jay H
Andrew, I agree with your opinion. Here's my thinking on this...

Anyone looking to drive such a car like this would be foolish to do so since it's priced at a premium and any additional mileage and wear will really tank its value like a Wachovia stock on Monday. As a collectible, I don't think a person would do all that well in the long run on this car since mid model ('75 and '76) 2.7 liter Targa's in brown are not all that desireable and as Andrew says, just were not good 911's.

However, if a person wanted to concours a car, this might be a prime example for a low entry fee. A concours condition pre impact bumper car would be quite high in purchase price...most likely $40k for anything nice and probably much higher for true concours cars in today's market.

Find a good SC or 3.2 Carrera in concours condition (and I mean full concours, undercarriage and all) with low mileage and I bet you're gonna see pricing well above $20k for an SC and most likely more than $30k for a late G-50 car.

So, let's say I want to jump into concours and everything is $30k or more and my budget won't support that. Original cars with perfect paint, perfect interiors and clean undercarriages are REALLY hard to find (ask me how I know). Let's assume this car is one of those 1 in 10,000 911's that was babied it's whole life, garage kept and as new with fully original paint, carpets and fabrics. Even at $18k, this car can be justified if you wish to show it and be competitive. It's probably $10,000 to $20,000 cheaper than most any other 911 in similar condition. Who cares how bad the motor was designed or how slow it is when you concours a car. You're buying originality (depending on what class you wish to compete in) and having stuff intact, unmodified and free of point deduction wear and tear.

If this car is mint, it will take very few dollars other than the initial price to get the car competitive. It's all there and in great shape. Nothing to replace and cars are only original once. Just clean it and show it.

So, my point (which I'm beating to death) is that for a driver, this car is completely overpriced. But, for a show car, this might be a heck of a bargin. I have a concours only car, but when I was looking to buy a car to concours, I would have been all over this particular car due to it's (assumed) insane originality.

Good points. I could see either someone who wants to show the car as you say, or someone that just wants this vintage/color/etc car. It may take a long time to sell at anywhere near the asking price, but guess it can't hurt to ask and see if they get the odd bite.

I've seen cars like this sit for sale for 12+ months if sellers get hung up on getting a minimum price- one ferrari F355 I saw at a local dealer for literally 2+ years- it was blue with bright red lipstick interior, including the steering wheel and dash- all red, no contrasting black. The interior color was nasty for what they were asking. If they lowered the price by 20%, they probably would have sold it quick - the seller could invest the money (not in Wachovia) and probably get that back in the time it took to sell (this is back when CD's were paying more than today, so let's call it a low risk investment), on top of not having to pay over 2 years of insurance, saving the cost of a couple of not cheap oil changes, the cost of advertising, and the hassle of continually trying to sell the car. If these people are smart, they'd advertise it on hemmings and the porsche club as it is in exceptional condition, as well as autotrader, etc plus ebay as they have and if it doesn't sell after a few weeks, start lowering the price. There must be some people interested in the car but not the price that would be interested as the price decreases...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

If you're talking about DRIVING this car,--you really shouldn't for two reasons. The car is quite clean with low miles. It would make a great concours car. Second, that generation of 911 motor was quite simply,--the worst they ever produced. With the magnesium case, the 2.7 litre engine was prone to expansion and contraction issues that wreaked havoc upon all the fasteners (before they invented the Dilivar material). As nice as it was to buy it brand new, I was eager to get rid of it because it was an engineering nightmare. It always was overheating, loosening up parts, leaked like a sieve, and just didn't produce enough power to justify the pains of living with it. I woudn't buy it for $15,000. (I bought my 77 coupe new for $14,800).

Quick Reply: 1976 911s- beautiful 70's era color (brown) car!