Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 Carrera - brake lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
wooly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Carrera - brake lights stopped working

I've got a new to me 87 coupe and love it. I just noticed that my brake lights (all 3) stopped working and am wondering if I just blew a fuse. Can any of you give me an idea on how to correct? I am a total newbie when it comes to the mechanicals of the car and don't even know where the fuse box is. Also, could it be another problem other than the fuse box? I just thought it was the fuse because all three lights stopped working at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Ron
Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

The brake light switches on our car is famous for slowing down. Maybe your problem was the same until it's dead now. Why not start from there? If you have a multimeter, let measure the resistant between the 2 poles of each switch (after pulling off the wire). Step on the brake pedal, ignition key at ON position. If the circuit stay open, you need new switches for sure. If it's closed, then the problem might be somewhere else.
No hurt to check the fuse. I don't know which fuse is the BL fuse, but the fuse box is in the front trunk, on the left panel. Pull the carpet, you will see it.
This is a famous issue, you can do some search on "Brake Light Switch". The below is one:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...arc+suppressor
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would def. check the fuses first.

Best,

Doyle
Old 09-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got a fix it ticket for the same thing. I did my switches not that long ago. This time I saw the brake pad sensor light come on one nite and the next came the ticket. Oops. I've gotta go back and read my own threads on the subject....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the fix is in for #2. I stopped by one of our local Porsche performance shops that sent me to another place and told me to say "Motion" sent me. The part 805 54011 649 that I paid $20+ for last go round was $7.95 this time. Am I now in the inner circle, or does that come when I can pick up an SC for $14,000?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure they are actually not working...I know that sounds dumb but I found that if I REALLY mashed the brake pedal they'd work. This indicated that the hydraulic switch(es) in the trunk up front were not working correctly. They're a bit of a PITA to replace so you may just want to have a mechanic do it if you are not so inclined. Obviously check fuses first though since that's easy.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:30 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Hey Wooly,

I have a solution for you, PM me.

Jim

Quick Reply: 87 Carrera - brake lights stopped working