Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shift knob replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 07:47 PM
Face
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift **** replacement question

I'd like to replace my shift **** with a Momo **** I recently ordered. What's the best way to remove the factory **** on an 89' Carerra? Is is simply screwed on or bolted in somehow? I know this sounds silly, but I'm new and trying to be careful!
Thanks.

Todd
Old 08-17-2001, 08:05 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Toddface,

I think you'll need something called a "crush sleeve" to remove the stock ****.

There was a tech article on this very subject in either Panorama or Excellence within the last few months (sometime this year). It's not a terribly difficult task, just requires the correct tool.

Good luck!

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 08-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

The "crush sleeve" is what holds it ON! To get the old one off, you just have to pull it straight off. It will take some force, because it is a friction fit, via the crush sleeve, that holds it on. Just tug hard. The only thing you might damage is the old *** or the old sleeve, neither of which you will need. I have one of the MOMOs installed, and it is great. It is held on with set screws - much more secure than the crush sleeve, and easier to get off when needed. Enjoy
Old 08-17-2001, 08:32 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Todd--get a 15mm end wrench which will fit around the gear shift shaft under the **** and then tap upward smartly. The **** is a wedge fit.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:41 PM
fsinapi
1st Gear

Sorry to disagree, but according to my Bently Service manual, the shift **** on the 1987 - 1989 Carrera is held on by an allen bolt. You should be able to pry the cap from the top center of the shift ****, and then remove the allen bolt. I'm interested to know how the new **** fits, as my 88 Carrera could use one, but many I see advertised are only good up to 86.

Frank
'88 Carrera
Old 08-17-2001, 10:23 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frank is quite correct - I just replaced the oem shift **** w/ a very nice momo (picked up at rennsport - hey, the vendors were great weren't they?). pop off the plastic center cap (w/ shift pattern), remove allen bolt, tap off old **** (gently, from bottom lip), and follow momo instructions... all as described for G50 trans in 87-89 models in Bentley manual.
Old 08-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
DOH! I didn't consider that the G50 Xmission would have a different way of holding on the ****. SORRY! The pull off/use 15mm wrench method is good for 915 equipped cars.
Old 08-18-2001, 11:33 AM
Face
AutoX

Gents,
Frank and Kevin were correct! After about 5 minutes of pulling and tapping I decided to pop the cap off. Sure enough, a hex bolt held it in place. The new Momo **** was on in about 3 minutes and fit/looks great.
Cheers,
Old 08-18-2001, 01:01 PM
Mrdi
Advanced

Correct re: allen set screw.
Caution...The Momo's mount with set screws that put 3 indents into the shift lever to secure themselves, unlike the the stock **** that screws down. I did it and didn't like it now I have three small sharp indents on the shaft. The Momo's are bushed w plastic inserts to accomodate the different dia.'s.
The system is not as substantial as stock.
Wasted $50.

Quick Reply: Shift knob replacement question