Greetings, potential 911 buyer introduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Quintin11
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings, potential 911 buyer introduction

Greetings;
I think I posted my first message incorrectly, so I'll try it again.
I was referred to your forum by Dan Pierson, a Porsche owner who happens to also own a 66 Dodge Charger like myself.
Hoping to get information here regarding shopping for my first 911. I would really like a late 80s vintage, preferrably a cabriolet. I am open, however.
What I'm looking for is basic newby information - which model years are preferrable, engine favorites, small details to look for when inspecting a car.
I am pretty handy with repairs and maintenance, but how accessable are 911s for basic services such as oil changes, filters, etc?
Sorry, lots of questions. Look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas, and if there are any Porsche 911 owners here from Raleigh, NC area, please let me know!
Thanks!!
Paul Quintin
Old 09-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quintin11
Greetings;
I think I posted my first message incorrectly, so I'll try it again.
I was referred to your forum by Dan Pierson, a Porsche owner who happens to also own a 66 Dodge Charger like myself.
Hoping to get information here regarding shopping for my first 911. I would really like a late 80s vintage, preferrably a cabriolet. I am open, however.
What I'm looking for is basic newby information - which model years are preferrable, engine favorites, small details to look for when inspecting a car.
I am pretty handy with repairs and maintenance, but how accessable are 911s for basic services such as oil changes, filters, etc?
Sorry, lots of questions. Look forward to hearing from anyone with ideas, and if there are any Porsche 911 owners here from Raleigh, NC area, please let me know!
Thanks!!
Paul Quintin
Hi Paul: In the spirit of "un-confusing" you I humbly recommend that you go to Amazon.com and order a copy of the 8th Edition of my book (The Used 911 Story); see my signature. After reading it through a couple of times you will no longer be confused!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Paul, I'm in the same boat as you in buying my first Carrera. However, Pete's absolutely right. Get a copy of his book and you will become a much better informed buyer.

His book has helped me tremendously in being able to understand what questions to ask when I communicate with someone selling a car I'm interested in.

This board is also a wealth of knowledge and you can find answers to most questions just by using the search.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I read the book and I bought and 83SC...could be happy with an 89.

Buy the book, it could save you from making a wrong decision....I almost did.
abe
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Read Pete's book. Twice.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 PM
jpyles
Instructor

Paul, I used to live in Raleigh (now in Charlotte) but there are several others from the Raleigh area on this board. The Hurricane Region PCA meets in the RTP area, and there are some great, knowledgeable people in the club. Hurricane PCA website
Old 09-16-2008, 03:47 PM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome! Get Pete's book, hang out a bit here and on Pelican (particularly applicable for the older 911s), and don't fall in love with the first one you look at ! Spend some time searching and learning as you go along, and you won't regret it...good luck!

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Paul,

Welcome.

I am located in Raleigh

Triangle PCA meets monthly on the 2nd Thursday of each month from 6:30-8:30 at Manchesters , North of 540 on Glenwood Ave (70)

This months meeting is on the 18th (schedule change)

John
Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Steely
Instructor

Hi Paul,

by all means, welcome. Pete's book helped me, and search here and Pelican as mentioned. I'm a recent new owner, and the info I found here was invaluable, like what folks went thru on their serach, thru how to handle problems, etc. Learn about the PPI too.

I picked up a decent background and some solid help before and after my purchase.

cheers,
Old 09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience is KEY,..(and , hopefully, a virtue). Data gathering is coincident.....together (with this group and locals), you'll get it right and dead on.

PPI=critical. ((although I'm one of those who survived not having one, going on the history/service....talking with the guys that serviced/rebuilt it.......no problems for me,..but I'd never, ever do it that way again,..knowing what I know now.....I was "lucky")).

A great welcome........she's 'round the corner.

Best,

Doyle

Quick Reply: Greetings, potential 911 buyer introduction