HELP STARTING 80SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
ernie944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP STARTING 80SC

Hello people last week I started a thread called starting didnt get much reply
but IM still having the same issue and IM lost, last night I wanted to go out in the 911 (80SC) car cranks strong but wont start, last week it did the same thing I had taken the air filter housing off pushed up on the plunger it felt a little gummy but I went and tried and she started up drove it all day and no problems, I tried the same thing last night got her to fire up 1 time ran for about 1 minute then died tried again cranks but nothing I've got fuel and spark but IM lost any other suggestions this car might sit 2-3weeks at a time and I've never had this problem before. Help please.

thank you

Ernie
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie944
Hello people last week I started a thread called starting didnt get much reply
There was a decent response to your problem. Did you address any of the issues that were brought up? How old is the fuel? Have you run any fuel system cleaner through it? The previous post almost makes it sound like a possible cold start problem. The lifting of the plate with the engine off would act as a substitute for the cold start valve but would not explain the car shutting off. What was idle like when it turned off? Low or did it just die or did it slow until it died? I would recommend using a CIS fuel pressure tester if you can't get it started again.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Houpty GT Wrote:There was a decent response to your problem. Did you address any of the issues that were brought up? How old is the fuel.

I cleaned the the plate I always try to use Chevron/Texaco in my area I put fuel additive every 3k miles
what I think I have missed looking back when I sought off started I think I did get gas somewhere else maybe I just got some bad fuel I wont know till the weekend till I have time to really tinker with her. Where is the cold solenoid valve located on these cars.

thank you

Ernie
Old 09-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

the cold start valve is an electric injector. It is in the very back of the intake manifold. I am not sure if you can get to it with the engine in the car or not. The part is often blamed for peoples problems because of the name but I have never actually seen one that was bad. There is a thermo-time switch temp sensor that runs the CSV. I would actually check your fuel pressures first. Check around with people in your local PCA to find someone that has the tool. Infact any body who works on european cars from the 80's should have it since they all used Bocsh CIS.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Thank you Houpty GT, I will tinker with it this weekend as I have time the more I sit at work and think about it the more I think that it might be fuel related, im thinking that its bad gas.

thank you
Ernie
Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 AM
ernie944
Instructor

Well it ended up being bad fuel, finnally got her started Sunday morning still havent drained the gas yet but I did take her for a small ride backfired a few times shut down one time, pulled over cranked her up again would not start removed ait cleaner pushed up on plunger cranked her up with throttle half way started up and made it back home now just wondering should I drain the gas or just driver her till I burn whats in there (a little over1/4) or just add some good gas and see what happens.

Ernie
Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

I would drain it and this will also give you an opporitunity to clean the intake fuel screen. Discconnect the line from the fuel pump and let it pour into a gas can. I would mix this gas with some good gas and then use it for the lawn mower and such. Now you can remove the plug at the bottom of the tank. The gas is going to come out and you will need a pan to catch it. To remove the plug use a 3/4" or 13/16" spark plug socket, I forget exactly which one. Just remove the rubber plug from the inside of the socket so that you can put a extension in the socket backwards. You now have the really large allen tool to remove the screen.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
ernie944
Instructor

OK now IM really confused but I think we got it. So we finally start playing with her yesterday afternoon this time I have no spark so we mess with for a while my Dad being and old mechanic by trade sys's it feel like she's out of timing so he desides to move the distributor a little and sure enough she fires up we take her for a ride and everthing seems ok about 20 miles this morning (22nd) I decide to bring her to work sure enough she starts IM about 7 miles from home and POP she backfies and dies, I pull over cracnk nothing so I call a friend he finnally gets there again I have no spark we go to his house takes the cd box out of his car we go back and she fires right up and runs great we swaped boxes out and here I am writing from work so it seem's that its the cd box acting up I've had this car for over 3yrs now with really no issues when I took my box of it has test on it writing in the back of it and a silver sticker attahced to the side which I didnt see on the doner box possibly a rebuilt unit was used at one point anyway sorry to ramble just want to give all the facts now I need to find a cd box anybody has a good for sale cheaply

thank you

Ernie
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Pelican has a rebuilt unit for $367 ($250 Core)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg6.htm#item23

Or you can upgrade to a new MSD unit

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...number=MS-6420

Hope this helps out.

John
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Thanks John Pelican will be my last resort I dont think I will go with the MSD I would like to keep her stock as possible and simpler for me. I am trying to see if anybody local knows where to possibly have it rebuilt there are some places that rebuilt PCM's ECU"S so I would think they can rebuilt this too.

Ernie
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

are you sure it is not just the contacts ?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Ernie,

Here is a thread about testing the unit.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=cdi+history

John
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Thanks again John, I dont think its the contacts but I did open the unit at work and you can see trace of possibly a blown resitor. I di find a place down here in BOca Raton that will rebuild it with 3yrs of warranty 48hr turn around but they want $514.00 seems alot money compared to Pelican, but I will keep looking
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

That's a bit high.

Zims is about the same price as Pelican

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/CD_Boxes.html

John
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Well spoke to a gentleman that advertises in Pano (www.PorscheDME.com) today and he quoted me 250.00 48 hrs return and 5yrs warranty, so IM taking a trip down to Ft. Lauderdale after work today
to meet him at his shop and dropping the CDI unit off will let you all know how it goes.

Ernie

Quick Reply: HELP STARTING 80SC