Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennshift user report

I have a new-to-me ’71 911t (901 gearbox) built out to ’73RS specs. 90% track use. After coming out of a track prepared 924S after many years, it continues to be a big ol’ adjustment.

The ‘71 had the original shifter, and even after I replaced all the bushings and adjusted it properly my chances of blowing up the rather expensive engine with a bad shift remained scary high. After a few track days, at Lime rock and then a great three day event at Tremblant, it was clearly necessary to do something.

I’ve driven a couple of cars with Wevo shifters (including one back-to-back with my car at Tremblant) and the Wevo setup definitely works.

However, two people personally recommended the Rennshift to me, including one who passed me about 1000 times at Tremblant. I researched Rennshift as much as I could and decided to go with it, and also with their shift rod universal joint.

One factor was that I would have had to buy a 915 shifter assembly in order to install a Wevo unit, and used 915 shifters seem to go for $150. The $$ was really secondary, but I was not up for the hassle factor at the moment.

Well, I have two track days and some street miles now with the Rennshift and I recommend it very highly. It is a beautifully designed and fabricated unit. It is a complete unit, installation and adjustment are very easy and straightforward. It has a real quality feel. Shifting is now precise and positive and far less of a distraction at speed (though the 901 shift pattern still is unnatural to me). If I blow the engine up, which I very well may, it won’t be the shifter’s fault.

So – I have no relationship with JWest Engineering other than I ordered a shifter from them and they sent it. But this is a high quality product and I also have to say, without going into details, their customer service went well beyond the call of duty in getting the order to me on a tight schedule.

Just my $.02, which is about what I have left after buying yet another set of Hoosiers…

Quick Reply: Rennshift user report