Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1970 911E with Sportomatic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1970 911E with Sportomatic

I just bought my second p-car: a 1970 911e with 93,200 kms with sportomatic transmission. Is there a way to tell how many times it has rolled over to estimate its real mileage?

It has a Alpine White 930 body kit with whale tail. Someone had spent some time and money on this car and did stuff to it that i would never do. fake hood scoops / intakes and 'turbo' badges on the rear and door kick... looks real fast until i start it up.

Anyway, is there a certain way to drive this thing? Is it normal for the tranny to give a good hard kick every time you throw it into gear? Is it normal for the 'clutch' to disengage when you lightly touch the shifter? is there a way to downshift smoothly and match revs?

i'll post some pics as soon as i figure how to do so.

1991 964 Guards Red with 290,000 km - my first Porsche
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
Anyway, is there a certain way to drive this thing?
Based on your description of what the PO did, yes.

Aim for a large body of water (lake, river, ocean) put it in gear; smoothly press the throttle to the floor. When you are almost to the water's edge, quickly open the door and jump out to your left while the vehicle is moving.

Your issues about the car will be instantly solved.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
I just bought my second p-car: a 1970 911e with 93,200 kms with sportomatic transmission. Is there a way to tell how many times it has rolled over to estimate its real mileage?

It has a Alpine White 930 body kit with whale tail. Someone had spent some time and money on this car and did stuff to it that i would never do. fake hood scoops / intakes and 'turbo' badges on the rear and door kick... looks real fast until i start it up.

Anyway, is there a certain way to drive this thing? Is it normal for the tranny to give a good hard kick every time you throw it into gear? Is it normal for the 'clutch' to disengage when you lightly touch the shifter? is there a way to downshift smoothly and match revs?

i'll post some pics as soon as i figure how to do so.

1991 964 Guards Red with 290,000 km - my first Porsche
Hi,

Perhaps I can help,...

First, there is no reliable way to tell how many times the odometer has rolled over. One usually takes a close look at the whole car to determine wear & tear and that can be a bellwether about mileage.

Second, Sportomatics are different and one MUST learn never to touch the gear lever unless you wish to shift the thing. There are sensitive microswitches inside the shifter that tell the transmission to disengage the torque converter so you can make the shift,... Keep both hands on the wheel until you make the gear change.

You cannot match revs easily since the "clutch disengagement" is hydraulically controlled by the pump and you actuate that by moving the lever.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Pearl: great advice. Thanks.

Steve: even better advice. The car is still fun to drive but i don't think i'll be trying to set any lap records... anywhere! It is quite an eye catching car. Had the front rotors machined, bleed the brakes, bought a new battery and can now brag when people ask, 'how's the Porsche running?" and I can reply.. 'which one?'.

The sportmatic transmission takes getting used and the i've punched the brake with my left foot a few times. NOT Recommended!

I've driven it about 1000 kms now and am not getting great mileage. Let's see 220kms on 36 litres of 91 octane. What's that in mpg?

Still pretty fun to drive in its raw state. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: 1970 911E with Sportomatic