Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Scary noise and thump when engaging torque, tranny/clutch/engine??? please read.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:35 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete,
I hate the part "Clutch discs must never be touched by fingertips". I wonder how many mechanic out there would care about this. I spent hours to read all your opinion about rubner disk and spring center for 915 and G50 and now I am "blank". Cost for cltuch replacement for this car is not normal so I affraid I make a wrong choice. I need a coffee break to gather my mind together

Can someone spare a min to explain to me what does that mean when Joe said gear chatter? Does it mean humbling or jerking/slipping?

Doug,
Reading the thread Pete posted again, I don't remember anything about it but I do remember I read something about ruber disk and spring center disk. I also read more about this other places and seem like it still a debate in me, regarding if rubber disk is bad, spring center is noisy, etc and etc.

Last edited by rnln; 09-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Douglas Pete

I would do what ever Pete says over anyone else on the planet. If Pete says it, it's gold. He has saved me who knows how many $1,000.00's over the last year or so....
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I know. Pete is the man. Manythings he told, which turned out right. The things that hold me on the spring disk is many people went with it, the mechanic recommended it (well, I know I had many bad experiences with mechanics, not this one though), and my rubber disk (assumming) is bad now while the clutch pad is still good. But on the other side, Pete is always right. I have been turning left, then right, then left. Now, I have a headache.
Can someone put the gun on Pete and make him open his shop back please.
PS: where do you fine that avatar? :lol:

Last edited by rnln; 09-10-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
jpyles
Instructor

Okay, I'm no Pete, but I'll give you my opinion, having read all the posts on the subject and having gone thru the same debate myself - finally opting for a spring center - and then driving my car with a spring center for the last several months.

I'm assuming you've had the original G50 rubber-center disc in your car, and have been pleased with the (lack of) noise from the tranny up to this point.

If you don't want to worry about whether you'll hear any additional "gear rattle" noise, then get another rubber center clutch. The G50 versions appear to last a long time (mine was 20 years and 100K, and I've seen 80-130K from many postings) before wearing out, unlike the 915 rubber centers that are probably the cause of many people's reluctance to use a rubber center on the G50. I was one of those people, hence my decision to go spring center. If I had read more of the posts on the G50, I might have gone the other way.

However, I would consider a spring center IF:
1. cost is a big issue (spring centers are a less expensive part)
2. you track your car (this is entirely my opinion, I just think the spring center would hold up to more clutch abuse)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Truth be told, I do recall some project I did where I didn't take Pete's advice. I can't remember what it was, but I remember the guilt is still eating away at me.

Oh ya, now I remember.....The chip. He wanted me to stick with the stock chip. Sorry Pete, fom my cold dead hands....
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, guys. The problem with the spring hub disc, other than the fact that Porsche didn't use it as original equipment, is that it can really make a car miserable to drive. As posted in other threads, the noise will differ from one car to the next, the same way douglas' chip will help some cars more than others. If your car has a small amount of trans-related noise with a rubber hub disc, chances are almost 100% that a spring hub disc will make the car sound like the trans is going to fall out the bottom. If your car is quiet with the rubber hub part, then you might end up with a car that's anywhere from not too bad all the way to awful. A very small percentage of G 50 cars end up acceptably quiet with a spring hub disc.

A quick side note. The first time that I drove a 1989 Carrera 4 I couldn't believe the amount of drive train-related racket. Then I drove a 1990 C4, fitted with dual-mass flywheel, and it was a wonderful car. I've driven a few '87-89 cars with spring hub discs, and my experience with those cars won't allow me to use anything other than a rubber hub disc in a street use car. Of course, in a track car I would investigate all options, and chances are very good that I would use a light weight assembly designed for competition use.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Now what is wrong with your power chip, I remember that's what you got right?

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Truth be told, I do recall some project I did where I didn't take Pete's advice. I can't remember what it was, but I remember the guilt is still eating away at me.

Oh ya, now I remember.....The chip. He wanted me to stick with the stock chip. Sorry Pete, fom my cold dead hands....
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

alright alright, you guys got me. Thanks you much guys.

Quick Reply: Scary noise and thump when engaging torque, tranny/clutch/engine??? please read.