Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question on G50 aluminum cross bar.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:46 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on G50 aluminum cross bar.

I have 2 questions:

1- do I install it correct, the little curve side toward the front of the car, and the stright side is toward the rear of the car?

2- Is there any bushing, washer, lock, etc go to the top of the notches, between these notches and the transmission?

Last edited by rnln; 09-09-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you have the "front" & "rear" reversed. The recessed area to the right of the mounting holes is on the drivers side when installed. I believe it is where the throttle cable boot runs. IIRC there are no washers or bushings between the mount and trans.

FYI- those are the Pelican Poly-Graphite Trans/Mtr mounts (PEL-MTRMNT) installed in my picture.

Good luck
Andrew
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Andrew,
So the curve edge is facing toward the rear of the car then. If your installed correct, then something is wrong with my engine/tranny installation. If I turn the bar around, 4 holes can fit into the 4 tranny bolts but the 2 big amount bolts won't fit into chassis holes. They are a little too much forward. Another thing bother me.
Thanks Andrew.
BTW, those mounts come with 4 pieces, correct? Can you give comments?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:02 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

If I recall I put the 4 center nuts on loose then had to adjust the jack up or down to align the large outer bolts. I also seem to recall that that "nub" on the top of the crossmember would only fit on one side of the trans housing, but its been over a year.

As for the poly-graphite mounts, you are correct, they are a two-piece mount (4 pieces total). You have to drill out the old rubber then the new mounts sandwich on to the crossmember. I replaced both the trans mounts and engine mounts with these and am very happy with the results. My car is a cab and I was having issues with second gear popping out during hard cornoring at autoxcrosses and the track and those mounts helped correct the problem (along with replacing the engine crossmember damper shock with a solid pipe.)
Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

That little nub thing only fit the way I installed on my car. If I turn the bar, that nub will push on the tranny a tiny bit. I'll ask the mechanic then.

So you swap the little shock near the engine mount and replace it with a straight bar, and it make the car firmer? I affraid they made it there for a reason. How is the ride now with all the poly-graphite mounts? Is it harsher for street? How about noise level, increased?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
AJ88CAB
Rennlist Member

Well, now you have me confused too. We agree it only installs one way and mine is definitely installed as it is in the picture and yours will not go in that way. Very odd.

As for the mounts, I did not really notice a noisier or harsher ride. The car already had Bilstein Sport shocks front and rear and a M&K exhaust, so noise and ride are relative at this point The solid pipe just keeps the engine/trans from twisting and moving, it doesn't really affect the feel of the suspension too much. The mounts and the pipe did eliminate the problem with 2nd gear poping out though.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:14 AM
ned monaghan
Intermediate

The Pet catalog shows the nub on the passenger side.

I know for sure that it can be bolted up with the nub on the drivers side.

Ned
Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

umm... so it can be either side? umm... I will double check on this.
Thanks guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:46 PM
ned monaghan
Intermediate

I had a look in my 87.

The throttle linkage connector, about an inch diameter is above the passenger side of the transmission support.

The top of the support, passenger side, is grooved to provide clearance for this connector.

So look for the groove, it can be easily seen. If its on the drivers side, the support is mounted backwards.

Ned
Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

oh no, now we have 3 different ways of mounting this. If I remember correctly, my throttle linkage is on the U.S. driver side for sure. And my grove is on the driver side. There is a little edge on the tranny which is file in a bit for the grove to fit in. Now I am not sure if the "file-in" is factory or someone broke that edge to fit it in. If I turn the bar around so the grove to fit on the passenger side (right), then the grove will be into a small chamber, but then its head will push on the tranny case, and there will be gap at the comtact point (bar and tranny case).
Old 09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
ned monaghan
Intermediate

Error, Error in my post. The groove is on the drivers side.

I used a mirror to look and the support and am blaming it .

See the post by AJ88Cab. That support is mounted right.

Ned
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

so it can be any way then, maybe depend on each car's configuration??

Originally Posted by ned monaghan
The Pet catalog shows the nub on the passenger side.

I know for sure that it can be bolted up with the nub on the drivers side.

Ned
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

My mount look ok, not perfect but ok. Nothing is broken but one side is a little more complress then tho other side. Maybe time to change.

In addition, come to think about it carefully, I think I might need new mounts because maybe my mounts is already compressed too much; which makes the "nub" comes in touch witht eh tranny's case. Also, looking at Andrew's new mount, it is a lot taller over the bar. Mine is almost there at the bar's lip.
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
If I recall I put the 4 center nuts on loose then had to adjust the jack up or down to align the large outer bolts. I also seem to recall that that "nub" on the top of the crossmember would only fit on one side of the trans housing, but its been over a year.

As for the poly-graphite mounts, you are correct, they are a two-piece mount (4 pieces total). You have to drill out the old rubber then the new mounts sandwich on to the crossmember. I replaced both the trans mounts and engine mounts with these and am very happy with the results. My car is a cab and I was having issues with second gear popping out during hard cornoring at autoxcrosses and the track and those mounts helped correct the problem (along with replacing the engine crossmember damper shock with a solid pipe.)

Last edited by rnln; 09-12-2008 at 03:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on G50 aluminum cross bar.