Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Airbox Strangeness

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Daviboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbox Strangeness

Now here is a weird one for all the experts. I bought the sc at a knockdown due to an airbox issue. I have been told and have read that the car should not start if the airbox is cracked. Mine starts and runs like a sewing machine. So I thought if I can make an interim repair till I get a new one so be it. Ok so let me try and explain this my airbox is cracked just below the join/seam where there are 3 screws along the side (I tried taking a pic today but did not come out well) So I removed the screws which were not holding and replaced them with a nut and bolt combo which brought the gap down to a negligable distance thinking this would be a decent fix till I got a new airbox. After doing this the car starts and idles like before, but upon load under 2,500 rpm the motor suddenly seemed kind of lumpy as if missing. Checked all the HT leads no problems so thinking the only change I made was to tighten down the airbox decided to undo the fix, so did so. Now the car is back running as before.... can it be that it was tuned to make up for the extra air it is getting? But it should have a vacuum leak if the airbox is shot right???? I am a bit confused to say the least. Anyway I have +/- $900 of parts ordered via Pelican and the aorbox and associated gaskets etc are part of the order. I am going to work for a month overseas on Tuesday so the car will remain in the garage locked down till I get back to do the repairs. This is a bit long winded now sorry I have had a few whiskeys.... Anyway she is running great and I am so happy with her that it makes no difference as I want to learn how to work on this car anyway. Will take a good pic tomorrow of the airbox and post for expert opinion..

Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

i posted a thread on airbox replacement a while ago. My suggestion is fix what you can se before trying to fix what you can't see.

Fix your airbox, replace the gasgets for the runners and the rubber sleeves, replace your throttle bushing, airbreather cover gasket thermostat gasket and oil pressure sender while your in their.
Then put it all back together and adjust your CO levels with a AFR meter.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Marty916
Instructor

Just curious, is the SC the model that requires the engine to be lowered to replace the airbox? I heard something about this a while back.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:39 PM
emac
Racer

I have never had to do it but I heard it is much easier to do a partial drop. If anyone would know it would be Ice, and needless to say Peter Z

Ernie 81 SC
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Daviboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marty916
Just curious, is the SC the model that requires the engine to be lowered to replace the airbox? I heard something about this a while back.
Can done with partial drop so I believe so when I get home next trip will be giving it a bash....

Quick Reply: Airbox Strangeness